1930 VL Springer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 VL Springer

Have a 1930 VC that has some mismatched parts. Im starting to deal with the springer front end that was disassembled when I got the project many years ago.
    According to Steve's book and the parts I've identified, the front end is an early 1930 model. Just drove the spring rods out tonight and sure enough, they are straight and stepped.
    I also the screw in bushings, which are extremely worn.

My questions are:
    Can I replace the spring rods with the tapered version that are currently reproduced?
    Can I used the later bushings which are not the screw in type?
    Does anyone have straight spring rods and bushings that they would be willing to sell?
    Does anyone reproduce the 30 springer stuff? Bushings (Rod and rocker), straight rods & angled grease fittings?

I appreciate your advice and help!
    Ed

Dear Ed, nice find. The earlier 1930 fork has the screw-in bushings, with later 1930 having the plain bushings with no grease fittings, as they were supposed to be oiled from outside. For 1931 the stepped bushings were introduced with the greasers pointing forwards. The weedy 1930 bridge on the spring fork was also beefed up for 1931. For 1930 you also also have one-year rockers and studs, and a one year front brake anchor stud.

The good news is that Colony made a batch of the stepped 1930 spring rods, so new ones are available. You can't use the 1931 springer bushings, but someone on this forum made a new batch a few years ago and there might be some out there. I've seen the 1930 rockers, sometimes nos, and Replicant Metals have the 1930 rocker studs. The 1931 brake anchor stud can be machined down from 1/2" to 7/16" to fit 1930. Spring sets are out there, with the top one taking most wear. For 1930 the top spring is the same as the 45s, again changed for 1931.

1930 was the most produced year for the VL, so there is a good chance of finding 1930 fork parts at the swap meets, or trading them out here. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Steve,
      The one point I'm a little confused about is the place that the bushings screw into don't appear to have threads. The I beam legs have a marking # of TC 100L. Didn't find any reference about that in your book.

Thanks for all your help!!!
      Ed

Comment

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post
        The one point I'm a little confused about is the place that the bushings screw into don't appear to have threads. The I beam legs have a marking # of TC 100L.
        My early 31 fork legs are marked SC100. Steve will confirm but I think TC100 means you have a later main fork. That would also explain the lack of threads you mention.

Comment

Agreed. The 1930 main fork has forging number SC100 with TC100 coming later.

Comment

Thanks Gents! appreciate the help. Sorting thru the assorted mis matched parts is a challenge

Comment

Working...
            X