No announcement yet.

M-88 Carb floods on 42-WLAMy friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I was told is he was about 6 hours into his trip and many sets of spark plugs when he decided to pull into this hotel. He said he never had any trip time on the bike, just short little runs around the block, this being his maiden shake down run. Typical hurry up last minute get it done I've seen many times over my career in this field (How I viewed it...) Either way, the silly paperclip worked and allowed him to continue his planned journey for a couple thousand miles on one set of spark plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

Maybe his manifold leak equaled things out.
      How'd it cure itself, BLB?

An aside on bubble-testing, Folks,..

There's an ad in the latest mag for a testplate, but its got a Schrader valve to prevent constant pressure, and it doesn't even have threads for the bolts. That makes it fun to install.

Two decades of crusading against the evil manifold leaks, foiled again.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-01-2023, 01:47 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Trying to not hijack this thread off subject. Cotten, I was just joking about the leak because you always refer back to it. I realize you take this seriously and are trying to help everyone and are very adamant on your theory. I want to say your leak test application helped me find a problem I had on my '69 FL, ended up being bad clamps pinching and causing a leak. I went ahead and made 4 manifold plates (Tillitson, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 Linkert, from some cast aluminum jig plate I had lying around, nice and flat, didn't make the outside pretty as it is irrelevant. I put a shut off valve before the pressure gauge so I could shut off the main supply and see leak down time. The hose fittings on the manifold plates swivel so as not to put any strain or twist on the manifold while testing and the hose length is about right so the gauge rests on the footboard. Thanks Tom.
        DSC06911A.jpg
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Holy ****!

Comment

Once you line up your carb with the manifold, Folks,..

You don't want your apparatus so heavy that it might make the manifold move, particularly with O-ring and band assemblies.

And you don't want it to get in the way of inspection itself.

(That's why I make mine with ABS plastic and light vinyl tubing.)

TESTKIT.jpg

....Cotten
            PS: Whole lot cheaper, too.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-02-2023, 04:53 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X