WLA Smoke from oil tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA Smoke from oil tank

I am seeing a lot of smoke from the oil cap and the engine breather on my WLA, and I am trying to figure out what it could be.

Background:
    I have a 42 WLA with about 2500 miles on a rebuilt engine. I was riding it at about 60 MPH when I lost all power and the engine shut off. After the bike cooled off a bit, I got get it to start at high RPM but it would not stay running and I was getting a lot of smoke from the oil tank cap and the engine breather (White smoke). Over the next few days with a lot of work, I could get the engine to start but it wouldn’t stay running and I was getting a ton of smoke.

I ordered some gaskets and starting to take things apart to find the issue. I removed the oil pump and found that one of the teeth on the rear exhaust cam had broken off in the oil pump. I replaced all 4 Cams with a set of Samwell Supplies WLDR cams, put in a new scavenger pump, retimed the cams and the scavenger pump breather hole and put everything back together. While I had the bike a part, I did the 4 vain conversion to the oil pump.

The bike now starts and remains running, but I am still getting a ton of white smoke from the oil cap and the engine breather. I have pulled the return line at the tank and validated that I have oil being pushed back into the tank, though I cannot see the return in the tank due to all the smoke. I am not seeing a lot of smoke from the exhaust, though the exhaust is only loosely attached.

Any thoughts on where I should start on diagnosing the problem?

"Loosely attached exhaust", MKynaston?

Does this 'smoke' smell burnt?

Or could it be water vapor from ordinary combustion?

(A cool and moist ambient air at the time could make it bloom.)

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-16-2023, 10:39 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Sounds like you have piston and piston ring issues...
      Testing and removal of the engines cylinders will reveal the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        "Loosely attached exhaust", MKynaston?

Does this 'smoke' smell burnt?

Or could it be water vapor from ordinary combustion?

(A cool and moist ambient air at the time could make it bloom.)

....Cotten
        the exhaust is only loosely attached while I am still working on the engine (for east removal). The smoke continues even if I run the bike for 10 minutes, so I don’t believe it is water vapor.

Comment

Originally posted by mkynaston View Post
          ..I was riding it at about 60 MPH when I lost all power and the engine shut off. After the bike cooled off a bit, I got get it to start at high RPM but it would not stay running...Any thoughts on where I should start on diagnosing the problem?
          Smoke is only a symptom, MK,

But smelling it might decide between burnt oil or raw fuel.

For the primary diagnostic, please review the discussion at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Please note you will need a constant, regulated air supply of no more than 1 atmosphere (~15 psi).

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-17-2023, 04:49 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Do a leak down test,bet you scuffed a piston or wore the rings. Smoke from the breather and oil tank is excessive blow-by from the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by tgarcia View Post
              Do a leak down test,bet you scuffed a piston or wore the rings. Smoke from the breather and oil tank is excessive blow-by from the crankcase.
              That might tell us if something is broken, TG,..

But it won't tell us what broke it.

If it fails a leak-down, MK,..

Please bubble-test before disassembly, for clues as to why she shut down.

...Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

I was thinking the oil pump was compromised from the gear tooth he found in it causing a marginal loss in oil flow,just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by tgarcia View Post
                  I was thinking the oil pump was compromised from the gear tooth he found in it causing a marginal loss in oil flow,just thinking out loud.
                  That could certainly happen, TG!

But vacuum leaks are far, far more common.

We won't know unless MK bubble-tests before the tear-down,..

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

So I was able to verify that I have 50psi in my rear calandra and no compression on the front. I am thinking it’s the piston rings. Thoughts?

Comment

So I was able to verify that I have 50psi in my rear calandra and no compression on the front. I am thinking it’s the piston rings. Thoughts?
                      Please squirt some oil through the sparkplug holes, MK,..

And see if it raises the compression; That would suggest a ring issue.

You could also have a valve issue, please recheck adjustments.

Nearly all issues are a result of excessive heat.
                      Once again, please bubble-test before disassembly, or you may never find a cause.

...Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Once again, please bubble-test before disassembly, or you may never find a cause.

...Cotten
                        thank you. Will work the bubble test and check to see if oil raises the compression.

Comment

...Cotten
                          Cotten, I was able to squirt oil down the plug hole on the front cylinder and it did raise compression for a few kicks. Can you point me to a post that describes the full bubble-test? Is it the same as a leak-down test?

Comment

Cotten, I was able to squirt oil down the plug hole on the front cylinder and it did raise compression for a few kicks. Can you point me to a post that describes the full bubble-test? Is it the same as a leak-down test?
                            The bubble-test, MK,..

Is used to detect vacuum leaks at the manifold, which produce excessive heat (if the machine runs at all.)
                            Once again, please review the discussion at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

It is decades old, and addresses Indians, but everything else applies.

If your manifold leaks, it is a major clue as to why other things fail.

....Cotten
                            PS: Just fixing it may be enough to get rolling again. These motors are forgiving.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Didn’t seem to have any manifold leaks so I went ahead and took the head off. Looks like my piston is missing a chunk.

getting the last cylinder bolt off is kicking my butt. Any suggestions.

also my piston is marked with a .050 so I am assuming I need to purchase and .050 oversized set? What size were they from the factory?
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              Last edited by mkynaston; 06-19-2023, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X