3 VL Transmission Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 VL Transmission Questions

I'm still working on a VL transmission and trying to figure out some questions that have arisen.

1. The mainshaft used in 1930 (part number 2272-25) is shown with a length of 10 5/8 inches. What is the length on the mainshaft used between 1931-36? And is that the only difference?

2. In disassembling the transmission there is wear on the transmission case by the chain sprocket (see photo). I've seen this in another VL transmission case that I own. What are the contributing factors that have cause this wear? Poor assembly? Wrong parts?

3. And this is not a major question, more curiosity. But in the transmission casting, in the area right behind the sprocket, there's a molded concave recess. What's the purpose of the recess (other than a grease/crud catch area)?

Thanks, Lippy

VL Tran wear.jpg

Originally posted by Lippy View Post
    I'm still working on a VL transmission and trying to figure out some questions that have arisen.

1. The mainshaft used in 1930 (part number 2272-25) is shown with a length of 10 5/8 inches. What is the length on the mainshaft used between 1931-36? And is that the only difference?

2. In disassembling the transmission there is wear on the transmission case by the chain sprocket (see photo). I've seen this in another VL transmission case that I own. What are the contributing factors that have cause this wear? Poor assembly? Wrong parts?

3. And this is not a major question, more curiosity. But in the transmission casting, in the area right behind the sprocket, there's a molded concave recess. What's the purpose of the recess (other than a grease/crud catch area)?

Thanks, Lippy

VL Tran wear.jpg
    The length is the same 1925 to 1936. The difference is in the bushing. 1925 to 1930 the bushing is soldered to the shaft and 1931 to 1936 the bushing is pressed into high gear.

Jerry

Comment

2) crud gets stuck between the case & sprocket as well as wear on the main drive gear roller bearings which will cause the wear on the case.

3) the recess is a drain trough to allow oil that seeps past the main drive gear to drip onto the ground through the weep hole rather than get thrown onto the chain & flung everywhere.

also: since you have your transmission apart anyway, i suggest installing new sealed bearings on both ends of the mainshaft. this will help seal the trans.
      i also use John Deere corn head grease in all my JD & VL boxes to minimize leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
        2) crud gets stuck between the case & sprocket as well as wear on the main drive gear roller bearings which will cause the wear on the case.

3) the recess is a drain trough to allow oil that seeps past the main drive gear to drip onto the ground through the weep hole rather than get thrown onto the chain & flung everywhere.

also: since you have your transmission apart anyway, i suggest installing new sealed bearings on both ends of the mainshaft. this will help seal the trans.
        i also use John Deere corn head grease in all my JD & VL boxes to minimize leaks.
        Would you use the grease in an WL transmission, for the same reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post

Would you use the grease in an WL transmission, for the same reason?
          WL gearboxes have loose rollers in various locations, grease does not play well with crowded rollers.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

WL gearboxes have loose rollers in various locations, grease does not play well with crowded rollers.
            I havent used it in a WL yet, but have in a couple panheads. when the grease warms up it gets pretty thin. seems to work out fine & thickens when it cools off so no leaks out the mainshaft bushing.

Comment

Your single ear gearbox case is 1932-35, with the ear to support the chainguard clutch plate. The sealed bearings you might want to install are listed on the VL Heaven Website and in my VL restoration book.

Comment

Working...
              X