32 VL Hub Thick Washer 3924-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 VL Hub Thick Washer 3924-30

Just looking for verification of that the washer is still in the hub and this isn't part of the hub. I knocked out the center according to Steve Slocombe's instructions (page 18-5). If this is the washer it's in there pretty good. Doesn't look like it's budged.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fyYZvwbPgz7dSTVc8
    Last edited by loch; 03-12-2023, 12:19 PM.

It's a separate piece to the hub and is a reasonably tight fit. Keep at it!

Comment

The large washer is typically a very tight fit. I usually have to bonk them pretty darn hard with a punch to get them to move. I always remove them & install a v-twin sealed bearing cartridge on all my VL's, it makes a huge difference in the amount of wobble due to the splines typically being worn.

Comment

Thanks Knucklehead. I did get a couple of sealed bearings in case I couldn't find replacement washers.

What about the difference in dimensions of the spokes? I purchased replacement ss spokes. On close inspection I noticed a big difference between the length of the neck (part of the spoke from the peened end to the bend.The old spokes fit snuggly against the hub, The new spokes have a bit of play because the neck is longer.

NewOldSpokes.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
          The large washer is typically a very tight fit. I usually have to bonk them pretty darn hard with a punch to get them to move. I always remove them & install a v-twin sealed bearing cartridge on all my VL's, it makes a huge difference in the amount of wobble due to the splines typically being worn.
          I have the sealed bearings from Harbor Vintage. When fitting the inner nut on to the hub the sealed bearing housing protrudes from the end of the hub a good half inch. The only thing in the hub is the sealed bearing cartridge. No other washers, no felt. I'm concerned because using these bearings means I will need to change the spacer sizes to accommodated for the added width of the hub.

VLSealedBearing.jpg

Comment

At the risk of asking the obvious - is it all the way in? Is the bearing housing right in against the shoulder? Got a pic of the spline side?

Comment

Here's the spline side of the hub, yes it seated fulling inside the hub.

VLSealedBearingSplineSide.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

That's probably closer to being correct than it looks. You need the shaft to stick out a bit past the nut (so the wheel can rotate) once you have the nut screwed in and the lock ring on. Photo of mine attached. No change to spacers required. From memory it sticks out ~ 1/32".
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Peter Cooke; 04-17-2023, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty close to me too. Pull the bearing back out and check the inside of the hub to make sure it's smooth and no metal binding the cartridge up. It should slide in easily. Here's a video showing the replacement.. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpRUFH8tB4f/

Comment

Thanks Pete and SNY.

Pete are those Buchanan spokes? And if so did you lace the rim yourself?

Below is a picture with the inner nut removed. I checked the seating of the sealed bearing. It's seated all the way, goes in and is removed smoothly. I know it's seated because the shoulder that mates with the inner hub shoulder has a thin layer of grease stuck to it. It also makes a definitive "clink" sound when the two shoulders strike. I measured the clearance between the outer edge of the bearing case the outer lip of the hub, 3/16 ". There are no manufacture's markings on the bearing case. Only a paper sticker from Harbor Vintage, indicating that it's a "VL Cartridge to replace hub guts." It actually says that verbatim. Anyway, I'm going to go with it, worst case scenario I have to remove the wheel to replace the cartridge if I can't spacers to fit.

An update: I put the inner nut on and snugged it just by hand. There is spot that rubs when I rotate the axle shaft.

VLHubSealedBearing.jpg
                    Last edited by loch; 04-20-2023, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Something seems odd if things are rubbing. I actually made my own as being in Australia the total cost after exchange rate & shipping gave me a fright. My dimensions are attached if you want to give yours the once over. No rubbing anywhere and reassembled just fine. Note that the outer OD's are sized to suit my hubs, yours may differ. I made them a firm push in (by hand) fit.

Bearing Cartridge Specs.jpg

Spokes were made by a local wheel builder from a couple of original samples. He laced the wheels as well.
                      Last edited by Peter Cooke; 04-20-2023, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter!

Good info. I'm going to take another stab at cleaning the hub. The other hub, with the other sealed bearing, doesn't rub at all. I will also put the sealed bearing that rubs into the second hub, if it doesn't rub in the other hub then I can assume the first hub probably requires better cleaning. I'm confident the C-Ring holding the sealed bearing together is what's rubbing on the inside of the inner nut. Ever so slightly, I can rotate the shaft fully with my finger and feel exactly where it's rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by loch View Post
                          I'm confident the C-Ring holding the sealed bearing together is what's rubbing on the inside of the inner nut. Ever so slightly, I can rotate the shaft fully with my finger and feel exactly where it's rubbing.
                          Make sure the C-ring is not bent sideways and is fully seated in its groove, and check the inside of your nut for burrs, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X