VL Brake linings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Brake linings

This question has been asked and answered, albeit some time ago. And the way things are changing these days with the supply chain and available purveyors of ancient bike parts, I thought put the question out there again for some up-to-date sources.

I already contacted Harbor Vintage. No luck there. I also looked on the JustPanhead website, they have Taiwan-Ted linings for 45s but otherwise, nothing there.

Another alternative might be: find a set that's a little too big, then drill and shape them to fit. Is this even wise? Has anybody tried it? I have a set of 45 linings. The curve is different for the front wheel (haven't taken the rear off yet) so I'm afraid if I try to get them to fit the shoes they'll crack.

Thanks,
    Lochlain

I would think any fair sized city would have a brake relining service. We use Capitol Clutch and Brake here in Sacramento. CA. They do Semi trucks to small motorcycles. They bond the lining on the shoes (no rivets to score the drum) and arc it to the drum. Even the riders in the Bay area a 100 miles to the west come here to have them relined. Some mail them. The are online for contact information. look online for providers in your area. P.S. I take it you have good metal shoes to line.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
      I would think any fair sized city would have a brake relining service. We use Capitol Clutch and Brake here in Sacramento. CA. They do Semi trucks to small motorcycles. They bond the lining on the shoes (no rivets to score the drum) and arc it to the drum. Even the riders in the Bay area a 100 miles to the west come here to have them relined. Some mail them. The are online for contact information. look online for providers in your area. P.S. I take it you have good metal shoes to line.
      I do the same even though my nearest metro area with those services is 135 miles away. Don't waste your time on old linings.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rich and Rubone! I didn't know this was a thing I could have done. I will definitely look into it. And yes, the shoes are in excellent shape. Guess I'll use those rivets to decorate my leather saddlebags.

Comment

There's some very handy info here as well.

Springer brakes - AMCA Forum (antiquemotorcycle.org)

Comment

There's some very handy info here as well.

Springer brakes - AMCA Forum (antiquemotorcycle.org)
            Thanks Peter! Good information in the link.

Comment

Working...
            X