Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '32 VL Overhaul

How far to take it?

I did the compression test on the manifold. The front cylinder nut leaked, the nipples and rear cylinder nut were fine, no leaking. With the heads off I suppose I could do a leak test on the valves to see if they're forming an effective seal with closed.

The top of the piston and the cylinder wall of the front cylinder are in good shape. Carbon on piston top wiped off with clean cloth moistened with carburetor cleaner.

Do I keep going and remove the cylinders? I'm apprehensive because I'm not sure if removing the cylinders will require them to be honed before putting it back together.

Thanks,
    Lochlain

VLPistonTop.jpg

VLFrontCylinderWall.jpg

Originally posted by loch View Post
    How far to take it?

I did the compression test on the manifold. The front cylinder nut leaked, the nipples and rear cylinder nut were fine, no leaking. With the heads off I suppose I could do a leak test on the valves to see if they're forming an effective seal with closed...
    "Compression" confuses me, Lochlain!

But anyway, please beware that leakage at the nut might be the nipple. The nut is in the way, so that's where the stoppers come in.

I wouldn't take anything apart until its broken.

Because if you do, you must fix it anyway.

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

Compression - yes, I meant pressure test. Completely agree with the pressure test at the nipple, with the stopper. I have a stopper for just that purpose.

- Lochlain

Comment

I would remove the cylinders to waggle the con rods, but then you might have to split the flywheels. Maybe ignorance is bliss as Cotton suggests. Is this a 'points bike' or 'just a rider'? I suspect the latter, so up to you.

Comment

Steve, It's a rider, Cannonball in September. - Loch

Comment

Working...
          X