Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '32 VL Exhaust - Rear Stand

Hey Everyone,

With the current arrangement of the muffler and rear stand, the stand knocks into and is blocked by the end of the muffler, where the cross member of the stand strikes the top of the flattened section of the muffler. I attempted to move the muffler forward more by pushing and screwing it back and forth on the exhaust pipe. It wouldn't go forward far enough to make a difference.

Is the muffler I have too long? Don't want to order another if it's going to be the same length - ergo the same issue.

Thanks,
    Lochlain

VLExhaust.jpg
    Last edited by loch; 01-22-2023, 12:25 PM.

Your muffler is the 1935/36 style but should fit. I don't recognise the bracket, so that may be the problem. Tap if forwards with a hide mallet and you should be OK. It fits inside the rear stand.

Comment

Steve,

The bracket is definitely not original nor is it an accurate reproduction. I loosened it all the way to twist the muffler by hand. I may need to take some emery cloth to the exhaust pipe and the inside of the muffler. There's some carbon build up that might be preventing from going forward more. It should fit, so I'll keep at it.

-Lochlain

Comment

You do have the correct rear stand, right?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone, I'm pretty sure the stand is correct. The picture in the parts manual isn't all that great but the differences between the years are somewhat noticeable.

I'm considering getting a small scissor jack from a junkyard. Right now there's no way to get the front tire off the ground if I need to service it. I mean, I can do it at home of course, I have a garage full of tools and a heavy lift jack. If I get the scissor jack I'll just pull the rear stand off anyway. Won't need it if I can figure out how to lift the cycle's front and rear tires off the ground with the scissor jack, separately of course - not all at the same time. The frame is different from of my other bikes (save for the WL, which I've never tried to jack up either) so I'll need see where to put the jack.

- Loch

Comment

Dear Loch, the front stand was an option on the VL, more usually fitted to export and sidecar bikes. You may yet find one out there.

Comment

Thanks Steve, that might be a better option than trying to goof around with jack and wooden block (between the jack and the frame). More stable I would imagine. I'll take a look at the parts manual - see what I'm looking for.

- Loch

Comment

I would recommend leaving the rear stand ON the bike...with time I'm sure you'll find it invaluable. >>>Smitty

Comment

Working...
                X