WLC shift - foot or hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLC shift - foot or hand?

Anyone know, have references, or knowledge of how the WLC was delivered to the Canadians? With a foot clutch or hand clutch? Or both?

I read yesterday in David Wright's, Harley Davidson Motor Company: An Official Eighty-Year History, that the WLC was delivered with hand clutch foot shift setups. I reviewed the spare parts catalog I have that is specific to the WLC, apparently published specifically for The Department of National Defense, Canada. Sure enough it has part numbers for both the hand clutch and foot clutch. My WLC is still in pieces, a lot of pieces. As I contemplate rebuilding it this winter I'm wondering which way to go, bobber or more original. If the latter, then I should decide on the manner of shifting.

The hand clutch lever was used on all WLCs in conjunction with the foot lever. Shifting is still by hand. The auxiliary hand lever was to aid in takeoff, the foot lever used for normal shifting. It was never intended to replace the foot lever. It is both, not one or the other.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I never got happy with the 45's foot clutch. In traffic, using my leg muscle always threw my balance off.
      I would have used a hand lever, but too lazy.
      The Linkert Book

Comment

The WLC clutch lever parts....
        DCP_3684.JPG
        Last edited by Rubone; 12-12-2022, 02:52 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie! Good information. That would explain why no foot shift mechanism found in the parts manual. Very interesting - two clutch mechanisms.

Comment

Working...
          X