Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 VL exploded engine diagram

Good morning
    I took on the job of assembling/rebuilding my friends 1936 VL engine. There is very little information about these old engines on the web. Does anyone out there have an exploded view of this engine and possibly a sheet of tolerances, clearances, end play numbers and torque values for this old engine?
    Thanks
    Pete::::::::::;;;;;;;;

Exploded views came out in WWII .Steve Slocombe's books have assembly info.Harbor Vintage may have them.
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-01-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks
      I started examining all the parts for this engine and it looks like there should be a spacer between the cages on the sprocket shaft. The race has a scored area in the center and I measured the race with 2 cages and it looks like it should have a ~0.5'' spacer between the cages. Am I correct? My friend brought a manual but there is nothing about the sprocket side case, rollers or race.
      Pete::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

Dear Pete, all this should be in my VL restoration book. There are no Harley exploded diagrams for the VL, as far as I know, so I constructed them by photographing parts laid out on a sheet. I'm always happy to answer questions not covered in the book, which is also stocked by Replicant Metals in PA.

Comment

Hi Steve
          Upon inspection of the cases I noticed the sprocket side race has a scored area. I put 2 loaded cages into the race and there seems to be a spacer required between the cages about a half inch thick.
          Thanks
          Pete::::::;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

I found the spacer in question on the internet at competition distribution.

Comment

Here are factory fitting specs..
              H-D VL fitting specs 2.jpgH-D VL fitting specs.jpg
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Pete, there's good information in those Shop Dope letters. If you don't have them you can find them at Replicant Metals as well, and probably other sources that specialize in vintage/antique cycles.

Comment

Thanks Rubone
                  Man are those connecting rod/crank pin clearances every wide must be due to the old steel in the flywheels
                  Pete::::;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

W/r/t are those connecting rod/crank pin clearances every wide
                    ???
                    .001"-.00125"
                    The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
                      Thanks Rubone
                      Man are those connecting rod/crank pin clearances every wide must be due to the old steel in the flywheels
                      Pete::::;;;;;;;;;;
                      Note position of decimal point....
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                      X