Back to tank sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to tank sealers

I need to seal my tank on the oil / gas side not trying to continue a debate. I used 50/50 solder and Nokrode flux and had pretty good results probably more then 15 pin holes and the seam at the oil tank I used a small tip torch you must move quickly. At the seam I chased the leak to about 1 inch from the top very minor pin hole still I don’t want more trouble if I reach the top. Anyway I had vinegar filled to the top for 5 days useing Redkote . My question would vinegar wash out solder flux and will vinegar evaporate? Probably wash out with hot water then make sure to dry thoroughly then redkote any thoughts. Thanks

Vinegar evaporates to leave acetate salts, Shovelhead,...

So you may wish to neutralize with baking soda before the final rinse;

(I have no clue about the flux removal.)

....Cotten

AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you, also while checking I found that vinegar and acetone should not be mixed , once I mixed some cleaners and later was told I was lucky I didn’t damage my lungs always good to check before hand . I wasn’t going to mix the two but a lot of on line advice said final wash with acetone.

Comment

Shovelhead;

You mention using a small tip torch?
        Is that old style soldering iron? or
        electric soldering iron or
        propane or
        acetylene only
        Asking as I am S-L-O-W-L-Y trying to fix a set of old tanks.
        Reviewed
        AMCA Magazine Archives
        N4-93: Gas Tank Repair Part I.
        N1-94: Gas Tank Repair Part II.
        Recommendation there/then 1993/94 was disassembly with propane torch and reassembly with electric soldering iron
        So I was wondering what you have had success with?

Comment

My preference, Paul,..

Are electric irons.

TANKTIN.jpg

(Shown here sweating badge mounts.)

Touching up a seam on an Indian tank took three hands, as one held a hot air gun over the work to get it to cool just right.

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Paul , let me say everyone I talked to about this suggested using a soldering iron , however I have a “B” tank which is a acetylene tank and the solder and flux. There were a couple holes on the bottom away from all joints so I cleaned to a shine and gave it a try it took well so I continued clean,flux,solder. The seam opened up with the heat and I had a moment there where I thought I had over stepped my self but I let it cool and tapped it closed and it took . I have a #3 tip get extra flux brushes and watch the heat,too hot comes fast, tight fit up’s and start in a easy spot so you can see how thing move. I just finished prepping the tank two kettles boiling water should have washed the flux out then fill with baking soda and hot water drain and dry with shop vacuum on vacuum water will vaporize better in a vacuum. I’ll suck it out again tomorrow then line it . Thank you

Comment

The challenge with a torch, beyond heat load, is the creation of little solder mountains inside the tank. The heat ensures it. These often trap flux or create crack lines in the future. Not a problem if you don’t coat the interior. If you coat, it better not be red kote. What happens is the coating breaks down around those solder peaks and once you can get one drop of fuel behind redcote, it starts coming apart. I learned this one the hard way.

if you use an iron, it’s far less likely and the lower heat allows the solder to relax and flow out as intended.

so, in those cases with potential solder mountains inside, if you want to coat, use an epoxy.

i am not ragging on red kote, I’ve used it successfully literally dozens of times over nearly three decades. I’ve also had messy failures.

solder and pressure testing, zero failures.

solder, testing, and epoxy, zero failures.

If you use a torch, try getting a fan tip for your propane job. Better yet, get a tiny butane torch. One of the ten buck jobbers puts out localized heat and is very easy to control. You can also make crème brûlée. Multi purpose as they say.

Comment

Thank you for that information, something else to consider. Seems like I’ll not rush things .

Comment

Thank you ALL. Great information. The 1993 and 1994 articles were good and informative they are based on 93/94 tech so I was wondering about the use of modern epoxies.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X