UL Oil Leaks & Sumping Challenges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UL Oil Leaks & Sumping Challenges

OK, this is my first postings on forum asking for advise. It is primarily about managing several oil leaks. But I also would like to share what I have done on the restoration and am “fishing” for comments on my approach to identify any flaws or suggestions. Thanks in advance. OK, here goes:

I have a 1946 UL. After I purchased it, I ran it for about an hour and saw the pri chain was very taught. So opened primary to adjust chain. Chain looked sketchy, so ordered a new pri chain. While waiting for a new chain, bike sat. Didn't want to chance running it with the old pri chain. While waited for chain, noted that it was leaking oil under both heads, between both cylinders and the casing, along bottom of cam cover, and perhaps transmission (oil here could have blown back from base of cylinders). What started as an adjustment became major surgery. Pretty much took everything apart except did not split casings, and did not take apart the steering head. But I figured what better way to really get to know the bike.

Removed heads and found unequal combustion chamber volumes. Cylinders were scored. So I had cylinders re-bored, new pistons, hardened valve seats and new valves/guides, ground one head so had equal combustion chamber volume. Replaced electrical harness, added a fuse (old harness had fried wires at terminals in switch). Along the way, I cleaned and stripped to bare metal old fasteners and parkerized them, or replaced modern ones with decent repros (Colony etc). Replaced F&R brake pads and took springer apart to clean/parkerize all springs and rocker nuts etc. I took cover off transmission and examined teeth on every gear – no chips or gouges. Disassembled and cleaned carburetor. Disassembled and cleaned and greased star hubs. Replaced the gear on generator with proper (repro) slinger type.

Now for the oil system. Took both feed and scavenger oil pumps apart and cleaned. I lapped feed oil pump valve seats and gave a light tap; both using a 3/8” diam SST ball welded to a rod. Replaced SST balls and springs on feed pump. The replacement springs that are available AM do not have the free length listed in Service Manual or Palmer (1-9/32” (1.28”) for check valves and 2-1/16” for PRV). The AM springs for the check valves are about 1.6” long. Harley designed the springs for specific pressure (check valves to open at 1.5 psi), so length seemed important. Based on that, I trimmed check valve springs to 1.28”. (uh oh they say). Another potential issue is the valve seat on pressure regulating valve developed a chip after applying lapping compound. See before after photos. My thinking was oil goes first through the check valve, then to PRV, so that chip would not be a big issue for sumping, because first check valve would (should) prevent/reduce sumping.

I assembled engine and transm with new James gaskets and THIN application of ThreeBond 1184 using a fine paint brush. Only exception to using James gasket was a thinner gasket on the oil feed pump. I made adjustments per Service Manual and Palmer 3rd Edition, checking this forum, and reviews of helpful videos from Tatro Machine and Pacific Mike and others on YouTube. Pretty much any advice I saw, I tried to verify with another source. OK, that’s all good, and really was fun. BUT…

After start-up, changed oil and cleaned oil tank with kerosene. But now bike would start, but was not coming off idle, was stalling. I had missed cleaning interior of fuel tanks. Took them off and found some fine debris in tanks, brand new strainer, and previously clean carb bowl. While I cleaned those up, bike was sitting about two weeks. In that time, the oil drained completely out of oil tank into casing and leaked from several places. Leaks included:

(1) Leaked from a gap between generator (CycleElectric) and casing/cam cover. When I installed gen, I noted exposed threads on the lower generator mounting bolt. Apparently when PO bored out from ¼” to 5/16” to accommodate the CycleElectric, the hole drifted. See photos. There were/are no paper shims (a shim under generator would have made gap worse). I saw this as potential problem during gen install and tried to seal with ThreeBond. The other concern is the screw for the generator strap goes into a threaded hole directly into the front of engine casing. Can’t tell if an oil leak is coming from there.

(2) Leaked from the breather tube. My thought on this is the oil level was so high under cam cover, oil just flowed over the breather tube. If oil was this deep, it may also have contributed to oil coming out at base of generator.

(3) I removed the primary outer cover yesterday. There had been some oil on bottom of primary at seam between inner and outer primary. I was thinking perhaps there was a seal leak at engine shaft to sprocket, between casing and inner primary. However, upon inspection, there was no oil present on surface of casing or on inside of inner primary under the motor shaft. Did same look under clutch hub shaft. There some a small amount of oil on transmission casing below clutch hub shaft. Of interest, there was film of oily sludge, just on the forward half of inner primary. See photo. I used assembly lube on all parts and used a waxy chain lubricant on primary chain. (Prior to bike assembly, I had blown out passage for oiling the primary chain. There was oil under the brass nipple that projects over primary chain, so the primary chain oiler is working). Could the sludge be from Ass’y lube? Or from engine oil mixing with waxy chain oil?

The oil tank is now empty, all of it draining down. I took a swipe of stuff on bottom of oil tank and there is a fine sludge. I am thinking that some of that got onto feed oil pump check valve and fouled it, allowing oil to leak down.
    So here’s my thoughts on possible fixes:
    1. Remove oil tank and clean it more thoroughly while it is off the bike.
    2. Drain oil from casing and cam gear area.
    a. I’m not inclined to remove casing drain plug. It is tight to frame and hard to access. When engine was out of frame, I removed drain plug and tried to replace it, but the new machine screw plug (Colony) did not thread well, so went back to original plug.
    b. Drain by removing oil line at the scavenger pump. I can turn over engine using kicker to get pump to cycle out most of oil.
    3. Take feed oil pump off of casing and clean it again.
    a. Examine valve seats.
    b. Replace valve springs with proper NOS springs (if available - no luck so far).
    c. If can’t get NOS springs, use the AM springs at 1.6” length for the check valves. Interestingly, yesterday evening I saw a video by Tatro from 2016 where he measured wire thickness, coil diameter, spring length, and compressed spring length on several springs. On the 1936 check valve springs (26363-36), his dimensions were 0.018”, 0.312”, 1.6”, and 0.562” respectively. I checked some extra AM springs I had and they were very close to those dimensions. So I’m a bit more confident in using the AM springs. (By shortening the springs, I probably contributed greatly to my sumping – oops)
    4. Generator. Two options after draining most of oil from crankcase:
    a. Leave generator in place. Clean off surface between generator and casing where threads are exposed and apply a thicker layer of sealant. Perhaps Permatex 82180?
    b. Remove generator and check face where the lower mounting bolt passes through and try to seal it better. (Minor challenge here is that strap for generator was a very tight fit. When I installed, front cylinder exhaust was off and access was easier. I needed a ratcheting bar clamp to compress the strap to expose sufficient bolt threads to affix the nut. Reviewing literature, I see there are two straps, one for OHV that is 8-9/16” and one for BTSV that is 9” long. Apparently, I have an OHV strap.) Once generator is removed, I would build up a shelf of JB Weld around the outer edge of 5/16” lower bolt mounting hole to replace material where threads are now exposed. Then grind the JB Weld smooth with a Dremel. And then measure the strap and if it’s an OHV one, replace with BTSV strap.

Any comments or suggestions on all this would be appreciated.

002 Oil Pump PRV Seat After Lapping_IMG_8443.jpg

007 Primary Sludge Detail IMG_6658.jpg

Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Tomsan; 08-31-2022, 11:38 AM.

That sludge looks like water contaminated oil. Jerry

Comment

Since you asked for suggestions, Tomsan,...

Please do not take mine as criticism; but lapped check valve seats are an exercise in futility.

After great study, and some costly and embarrassing defeats, I proceeded to actually test the seal of the ball with bubbles at a very minimal pressure:

CHEKTEST.jpg

Bubbles don't lie, and I soon learned that only a flat grind to reduce the seat to a sharp edge produced a remarkable improvement.

Even with creative tooling,...

CHEKfails.jpg

..Only a piloted simple stone as shown on the right succeeded, and any further lapping, grinding to shape the seat, burnishing, or even smacking with a drift only increased leakage.
      My suspicion is the original seats were just a drilled hole.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-30-2022, 07:55 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Jerry
        yes, it does look like water and oil. Not sure how water would get in as crankcase was drained and bike stored inside. It may have been an accumulation in the passage for oiling primary- I had sprayed passage with carb cleaner followed by canned compressed air, so not much pressure. Rubbing in between fingers, was oily - good news there’s no grit. Today I’m gonna mix some chain wax with motor oil and see if I can reproduce the sludge. Thanks for your comments

Comment

Cotton
          That is dismal news re check valve seats. Thanks for your insights.
          Yesterday I removed oil tank and filled with hot soapy water. Added 15 acrylic chunks to scrape interior as I agitated. Did that twice and rinsed with hot water then filled with kerosene to set overnight. My utility sink is a mess and acrylic chunks went from looking like ice cubes to coal chunks. Oil tank produced two oily chunks of sludge that had consistency of refrigerated butter. I'm gonna soak tank in kerosene another day.
          Last edited by Tomsan; 08-31-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

All is not lost, Tomsan!

A common die-grinder stone dressed down to fit the gallery will remove a damaged seat quickly:

CHEKSTON.jpg

Note the pilot; the reason other piloted methods often failed was because the threads for the cap were often not concentric to the seat. Thus the flat end of the stone is the only practical way to remove stock and preserve the original drilled bore.

I still suggest bubble-testing at just shy of 4psi, before and after, and please let us know your results.
            (If you it barely bubbles,... Don't fix it!)

....Cotten
            PS: Kerosene just jumped to five bucks a gallon at the only pump within fifty miles. Its gonna be a hard winter.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton
              have you written up your procedures for bubble testing oil pump?
              (I love a good science experiment )
              Thanks

only thing more dismal than a leaky check valve are record profits at oil companies. I was at road run and couldn’t find pumped kerosene- paid over $10 per gallon at Walmart - it was ker-obscene
              Last edited by Tomsan; 08-31-2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomsan View Post
                Cotton
                have you written up your procedures for bubble testing oil pump?
                (I love a good science experiment )
                Thanks

only thing more dismal than a leaky check valve are record profits at oil companies. I was at road run and couldn’t find pumped kerosene- paid over $10 per gallon at Walmart - it was ker-obscene
                I reported it to the forums, Tomsan!

And the pic is pretty self explanatory. (Soapy water can be applied with a brush, and that's a golf tee plugging the exit gallery.)

The more folks that test, rather than just poke'n'hope, the more we will learn.

And somebody's got to have a better gauge..

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-31-2022, 01:10 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry to step on this thread, but Cotton asked about a better gauge. question... are you able to use a combination "vacuum/pressure" gauge when using the bubble test ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/155142299000

I worked in the instrument shop for a while during my oilfield career (34yrs) As I remember (too many beers), we often sent the very low pressure gauges (less than 15-20#) out to a vendor who specialized in low pressure accuracy, for accurate recalibration.

I made my own bubble testing device several years ago, its probably the most important device to determine low pressure/volume leaks.
                  I wonder if the metering of the LOW pressure thru a positive pressure liquid filled gauge would work to get a more accurate low pressure ? I have NOT tried using a liquid filled gauge, or even a high quality gauge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155142299000

C2K

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
                    Sorry to step on this thread, but Cotton asked about a better gauge. question... are you able to use a combination "vacuum/pressure" gauge when using the bubble test ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/155142299000

I worked in the instrument shop for a while during my oilfield career (34yrs) As I remember (too many beers), we often sent the very low pressure gauges (less than 15-20#) out to a vendor who specialized in low pressure accuracy, for accurate recalibration.

I made my own bubble testing device several years ago, its probably the most important device to determine low pressure/volume leaks.
                    I wonder if the metering of the LOW pressure thru a positive pressure liquid filled gauge would work to get a more accurate low pressure ? I have NOT tried using a liquid filled gauge, or even a high quality gauge. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155142299000

C2K
                    We know we have to quantify to get a decent study, C2K,..

And the only thing we can quantify for this circumstance would be at what pressure bubbles are created.

So we would want to focus on reading below 4psi. That's like a kilopascal gauge; I'll have to dig deeper in my stash to see if I have one, but somebody else will have to play with it.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-31-2022, 07:46 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

From the Peanut Gallery:

Following this thread (Welcome Tomsan!)

Looking for a low-pressure gauge?

Perhaps something from the medical field would work?

Blood pressure gauge

Zero to 300 mm mercury (Hg) or mechanical replication of same:

www.convertunits.com/

Quick conversion chart of pound/square inch to mm Hg

1 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 51.71493 mm Hg

2 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 103.42985 mm Hg

3 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 155.14478 mm Hg

4 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 206.8597 mm Hg

5 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 258.57463 mm Hg

6 pound/square inch to mm Hg = 310.28955 mm Hg

Blood-Pressure-Monitor-Sphygmomanometer.jpg

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've got one like that, Paul!

But I won't be able to look for it until after the BIG MEET tomorrow and the next, and even then, somebody else has to pick up this cross and bear it.

I lost my altruism after investing far too much into making burnishers, and then having a disaster after many successes.

It wasn't my only bad idea.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Cotton and Paul. People like you fellas are rare these days. I'm very thankful to all the folks who give so selflessly. Who would have ever thought a crusty old biker could be so generous with knowledge and wisdom, without some sort of price tag attached. This forum seems to bring out the best qualities of those with a simple passion for motorcycles as a common denominator.

p.s., there are many more selfless contributors who shall remain nameless here(in the interest of time and space), Thanks everyone, once again.

Roger Herbison C2K

Comment

I apologize if this has been commented on: "(2) Leaked from the breather tube. My thought on this is the oil level was so high under cam cover, oil just flowed over the breather tube. If oil was this deep, it may also have contributed to oil coming out at base of generator."

The flutter valve in the cam cover's gasket surface is missing, clogged, rusted etc. No repair, must be replaced.
                            The Linkert Book

Comment

Kitabel
                              thank you for your response. The flutter valve was replaced.
                              What are your thoughts on Sumping in a flathead, if I may ask?

All

Appreciate you all wading through my long story. In retrospect, I should have broken into shorter questions. Still learning forum protocol.

Ditto on Roger’s (C2K) comments
                              Last edited by Tomsan; 09-02-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X