35 VLD leaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 VLD leaks.

So I’m on a mission to fix leaks. The photo I’ve attached is the amount of leaks I have from one day. I’m leaking from the oil pump thing, from where the relief valve attaches. From the Transmission weep hole. The weep hole is significant as is the oil pump. I know the oil pump is gonna be what it is. But the Weep hole I don’t know how to fix that. Your suggestions on addressing these issues is greatly appreciate it. Thank you JF.

I provide the photos but the system isn’t letting me do it right now I’ll try later

Comment

Whahwehs
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

If you wanted a leak free motorcycle an old Indian or Harley won't do it for you. Look at the leavings in any parking lot after a National road run. Better yet you see all those drip trays stacked in the corner of my garage. We hand out absorbent heavy towels every time we have a chapter bike display. I've heard said, "If there's no oil under it you better check to make sure it has some. Sorry!
        DrSprocket

Comment

Wow RichO. What does the O stand for Obnoxious

Comment

No, it stands for Obvious
            DrSprocket

Comment

So Mr. Obvious. Is there something wrong with me wanting to minimize the amount of leaks that I have? Obviously you like leaks that’s why you wear depends.

Comment

Your a funny man HD. But I guess in your infinite wisdom you already knew that the "Real" HD's had a "total loss' oil system till 1936. And not all of it went out the tailpipe.
                DrSprocket

Comment

OK, here's my take on the leaking from the weep hole on your trans case. As with the water pump on an old Chevy, theres a small hole on the bottom or side of the bearing seal (weep hole), and I'm guessing the hole on trans works the same function as the water pump weep hole. If and when your oil seal in the trans fails (starts leaking), it indicates a bad seal, and the trans must be taken apart to replace the seal. The weep hole acts as a tattle-tale, letting you know your trans needs serious attention.

I can only make an educated guess, because Indian transmissions don't have any such features. I could be totally incorrect. I'm not a Harley guy, but my comment may be of some interest to you.

Maybe Steve Slocombe at VLHEAVEN might be of some guidance. Ask if he has any kind of manual that could be beneficial. Sounds like you are struggling. I read somewhere that the VL is your first old antique bike... if that is true, then you have a TON of homework about early motorcycles, Admittedly, there isn't much information about any bikes before the mid thirties. And what you DO find, may be not real accurate or complete. But you have to do most of the leg work... not just post questions when you get in a jamb.

You will come to realize that getting involved in antiques is not for the faint of heart (or wallet), and it takes years to get comfortable with all of it. Its all up to you how much you want to invest
                  in your project. Its not just money, but alot of problem solving and busting your knuckles to have a reliable machine.

I don't mean to sound like a lecturer, but I don't like for anyone to suffer. Its a long journey, and you've just begun... now find some manuals and stay up all night reading them.

C2K

Comment

If you don't have Steve's VL Restoration book you need to get it. It's a wealth of info and contains a transmission tear down/re build procedure.

VL New book series - VL Heaven

Comment

I have Steve’s book and have found it helpful though it isn’t diagnostic in some cases. That is when I post here. CK2 thanks for the constructive feedback. I intend to tear the bike down this winter. I’d like to minimize the leaks beforehand so I done have to go too far with the tear down if I can help it. The trans is on the list to rebuild. Actually I bought another tranny to build as a spare while I fix ( or more likely Steve Shackman in STL) the original trans to the bike.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

CK2. Btw I have previously asked Steve Slocombe to verify that leaking from the Weep hole is an indication of the seals failing. Have not heard a response back yet.

Comment

I've already replied on the gearbox weep hole. It may also be to drain water out after deep wading. The fix is sealed bearings in the gearbox as already recommended. There is quite a bit of earlier posts on this forum about 1934-36 Harley oil pumps, where leaks are not so easy to fix. The die cast body is usually the problem after all these years, and the cam cover has a hardened steel shaft running in an unbushed alloy body so needs to be a good fit. I've also seen silicone sealer under the oil pump cam cover end cap, so maybe that's a solution too.

Comment

Hdace, Just a suggestion, based on my own experience; don't insult members on this forum. You can always use the P.M. feature if you have to get something off your chest.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Due to the placement of the transmission weep hole immediately adjoining the side of the rear chain, I though the purpose of the weep hole was to lube the rear chain. After each ride I can lube the trans main bearing thru the zerk fitting on the end of the tube going into transmission, and the trans will not leak while sitting. When I ride my 1931 VL, I like to feel like I am riding in 1931 and the leaks are part of the experience and the character of the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X