X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks 35 vld

What is this little thing I’m leaking from

Attached Files

That is the weep hole for the left side transmission seal.

Comment

So why would I be leaking oil there? Too much transmission oil? How many ounces of Oil should I put in the tranny?

Comment

Those brass seals leak and are today often replaced with sealed ball bearings. The three speed box is filled to the bottom of the filler neck, as Owners Handbook.

Comment

Steve are you telling me that the weep hole is leaking because of the seals?

Comment

HDAce, As in your lighting post, I would refer you to your own posts and the subsequent responses that you received from last August that pertained to many of the same leaks that you talk about today. The transmissions leak, It's just the way seals and such were made at the time. And some leak a lot, mine did too. AND If you elect not to replace with sealed bearings they will continue to leak....and get worse. this means that the trans must be repeatedly refilled and some times it may not be to the exact proper level so some will come out from the weephole. Steve has elaborated on the various oil pump fixes and he knows of what he speaks. (After all, he did write the book!). Rich O has been very helpful to many people on here also , so don't be too quick to dismiss him. He, like most on here, give as much help as possible when we can, But YOU have to get in and do the dirty work. Sometimes the cure for a particular problem may not be readily apparent but that just means you have to rack your brain and dig in a little further. I can say from some experience, there's many times NOT an easy solution/fix to a particular problem and if someone has posted a solution/fix, then they have done some of the work for you. Try the fixes that have worked for others and generously been shared with you previously. Hope this helps.....Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Hdace View Post
              Steve are you telling me that the weep hole is leaking because of the seals?
              Yes.
              VL transmissions do not have seals, they have dished copper washers on both sides of the main shaft that ride against the bearings.
              The best fix to minimize leaking is replacing both main shaft bearings with modern sealed bearings & using green poo (one tube of john deere cornhead grease & 4 oz of lucas oil stabilizer) instead of 60 wt oil.

Comment

I have a 26 JD with relatively new copper washers installed. It’s starting to leak a little more than acceptable. It stops leaking (when sitting) when the level gets to the bottom of the mainshaft. My question is; why does the oil level have to be filled 3/4” below the filler hole? It seems that as long as the level is to the mainshaft and it is closely watched not to go lower, sufficient lubrication will be maintained. I’m thinking the factory recommended that level as a reservoir while riding. Any input is appreciated.
                Also I’m sure that installing sealed bearings is extensively covered in this forum. A link to that post would also be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X