Difference in late and early Harley 45 ea intake cam #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in late and early Harley 45 ea intake cam #2

Putting together a 1941 G motor from parts. With cams installed, camcover will not close due to interference with #2 cam. #2 cam has groove around gear and is marked " 2G". 2nd pic shows it next to a bad 45 #2 cam with no shaft and no groove around gear and there is a significant difference in recess depths at large gear. Gear with groove has 0.183" recess and bad cam with no shaft has 0.328" recess. I have tried to fit the good cam with both late and early model #2 cam bushings in camcase and camcover will still not close due to #2 cam. Is the cam with groove a 1959-73 cam. I thougt all #2 cams were interchangeable, only the cam cover bushing had to be changed for early or late . Is the one with a groove a 1957-73 cam, and is there a difference in early and late cam covers. Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Yes, cams are different and bushing is different in cam cover. H-D changed the manufacturing so 45 and Sportster blanks were the same. Parts need to be used together or machine work is needed.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks. I will find an early 45 cam with no groove to replace #2. My #4 cam also has a groove around the gear. Is there a problem running it with the early model 45 cams, such as difference gear teeth. It appears to run smooth against my #3 cam with no groove.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
        Thanks. I will find an early 45 cam with no groove to replace #2. My #4 cam also has a groove around the gear. Is there a problem running it with the early model 45 cams, such as difference gear teeth. It appears to run smooth against my #3 cam with no groove.
        All the other cams are fine Buster although they will no longer be factory matched if one is changed.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
        X