35 VL Hell of a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 VL Hell of a day

Yesterday was riding down the highway and gas began flowing out of the overflow hole on the carburetor. I figure the float stuck open and the pressure of a full tank created the overflow situation. I was able to tame it for the time by shutting off the petcock by a quarter to a third turn. I made it to my destinations stayed for a while and headed home. Just as I was getting back on the highway it started running rough. Not sure why other than the carb is probably gunked up with crap. Gas was low so I was headed 3 miles down the road to gas station. Made it a mile and all sudden my whole muffler flew off then as I went to turn around to get the muffler, the bolt on my clutch linkage decided to fly off as well. After numerous stops and starts I made it to the point where my muffler came off and apparently an 18 wheeler crushed it. There went an original 1935 muffler flattened. I was able to make it off the highway and eventually a tow truck came to pick me up to finish my lovely day.

anyone have a suggestion where I can get an original used muffler for my 35VL? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Man I hate when that happens! Don't rain it pours!!!! But you and the bike made it home safe so there is that.
    Just a suggestion: VL Heaven.com?

Comment

That sucks, sorry for the bad luck. That's one to hang on the wall for the grand kids to see what was used when vehicles had an internal combustion engine and not a solar panel.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

It always starts with the carburetor, Ace!

They are evil.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I hate to say it Ace, but this BS would only contribute to another lousy day from Hell.
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/23452685371...QaApVrEALw_wcB

Try Replicant Metals~~Harbor VL~~Competiton Distributing~~W&W Cycles...Gasbox is sold out, but You can sign in & they will let You know when they will begin to reproduce them.

*M.A.D.*

Last edited by JoJo357; 08-23-2022, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've had fuel squirting out because of a stuck carburetor float as well, but not the other traumas. No original mufflers here, but the repros should be out there.

Comment

JoJo. That is insane. $$4,479. CRAZY!

Comment

Bob Luland? :

https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepart...026-08-06-1147
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                  Yes Pisten-bully, Banned~but not forgotten...Bobby Luland.

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 08-23-2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X