Any tips on removing inside flywheel thrust washer on 45" flathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on removing inside flywheel thrust washer on 45" flathead

I have pitting on inside flywheel thrust washer at crankpin on 45" flathead. I have removed one washer, but the other side is really staked in and I am having no luck using small chisel and a small punch. Anybody have any tips from experience on getting this out. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Originally posted by Buster View Post
    I have pitting on inside flywheel thrust washer at crankpin on 45" flathead. I have removed one washer, but the other side is really staked in and I am having no luck using small chisel and a small punch. Anybody have any tips from experience on getting this out. Thanks.
    Stick-weld to it and yank, Buster!

I haven't a pic of that exactly, but here's how I remove carburetor detente balls...

dtntrmvl.jpg
    dtntr&r.jpg

Trust me, the thrustwashers are easier,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I usually drill a small hole and use a screw to jack them out, for brass washers anyway.

Comment

I have tig welded a nut to the washer and used a slide hammer. Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I just found this same question at another site on the interweb. Answer was to insert small drift though flat lock retainer screw hole on opposite side of flywheel and punch thru paper thin area of metal between screw hole and thrush washer. Worked great, one or two taps with hammer and thrust washer came out.

Comment

Working...
          X