37 UL clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 UL clutch

Has anyone had any experience with a primo rivera pro clutch . Just wondering if the clutch will work out ok on a 37 flathead and which diaphram to run that will work best with the foot clutch . I have the diaphram clutch setting in the garage left over from a panhead build a couple years ago . Thanks if you have any suggestions

The only way that would work is using a later clutch basket & later wide primary cover.
    They are nice setups,& I have installed on foot clutch many years ago.

Comment

I believe Carl Olsen has developed a setup with those clutches to work in the early narrow primary cover. I'd check with him or Matt.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Rich is right, we modify BDL competitor clutches and belt drives for our early narrow primary cover bikes. It takes minor machine work and gears the bike up to cruise 65-70 with a 22 tooth trans sprocket so your speedo reads correct. Set it and forget it and a lot smoother drive train.
        Carl
        http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

I think,Competitor clutch is different than his Pro clutch

Comment

Yes you are correct they are two totally different clutches .I tried the pro clutch on my panhead but could not get it adjusted correctly due to the mouse trap so i went the BDL competitor clutch on the panhead works great . So the pro clutch was sitting on the shelf in the garage when i got ready to install a clutch on the 37 UL i thought i would try it this being my first foot clutch bike i really dont have anything to compare it to . After talking to Carl Olson last week on the phone i will probably be installing a BDL competitor clutch that he machines down to fit in the narrow primary Thanks for the comments

Comment

The original foot clutch has plenty of travel for release.The big advantage of Pro clutch is same as mousetrap & foot clutch.It goes over center & becomes easier to hold when stopped.Best setup for 1968-1984 4 speeds with "mousetrap eliminator".Pro also keeps the drum chain alignment when released.Some of these "specia"l clutches use rounded dogs to hold the clutch plates & quickly wear creating nasty chatter when released.I have setup pro clutch for mousetrap,it works fine once the PITA adjustment is dialed in!...It takes less lever travel than mousetrap with regular clutch.
              I don't have much experience with the early narrow clutch & I understand there could be better setups.
              Last edited by duffeycycles; 06-21-2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X