41 to 46 tank identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 to 46 tank identification

know the basics, as per the cateye cutout and the emblem mounts...but have recently noticed that some 45 model 41-46 tanks have a drain hole on the gas tank, and some do not. Palmers book goes into detail about military models, but not civilian. I know harley had dress up kits for older models wher they sell the emblem mounting strips , so anything goes I guess. My oil tank even has the threaded grounding strap attachment on the oil side return line...but palmers says that could also be 45 or 46 oem civilian tanks with leftover wartime parts. Below are pics.....please help.one set is mine and the other is not
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

after alot of discussing with another guybwho3has the palmer wla book ...this is as much as i know so far. Any help appreciated on anything on the chart and especially 41~46 wl tanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I am not sure what your question is at this point. I assume the tanks with the stud on the oil tank are yours. They may not even be a set as they appear to have differing paint.

I have never seen a gas side drain plug and my tanks do not have one. I have been told the stud shown is for a grounding strap which would mean WLA. Yes the MoCo sold kits to install the emblem and trim strips to older tanks, seen often. Therefore older tanks or WLA tanks can be found with emblems and trim strips.

Comment

You can usually tell if the chrome strips have been added because the original strips were spot welded on and strips added later were commonly brazed or soldered. Jerry

Comment

The drain plug on the gas tank is post '42 on all tanks through the '40s civilian included, the ground stud is '45 and some early '46 civilian versions but was not used for anything. .
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you guys for the help. I really needed confirmation on the fuel drain plug part. Thanks much!

Ive seen some on post 42 civilian models and some without, how long did this last till? And is it possible some post 42 civilian tanks didnt have it?

Comment

Working...
            X