Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - 1940 UL or wait for a '47 flat head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - 1940 UL or wait for a '47 flat head?

So I'm ready to get my feet wet. I looked at a '40 UL last week. I was kinda fixated on '47's. I'm looking for a "bits" bike. (bit o' this, bit o' that) A weekly rider.
    Opinions wanted on should I talk turkey with the seller or wait for a later model?

Other than minor cosmetics they are identical in performance. 40s had more accessories and bling from the factory with Deluxe packages. A '40 would trump a '47 every time for me.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Every day gets more difficult.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rubone;n295093]Other than minor cosmetics they are identical in performance. 40s had more accessories and bling from the factory with Deluxe packages. A '40 would trump a '47 every time for me.[/QUOTE)

Agree

Comment

Does the '40 have 18 inch wheels? A lot of people believe they ride easier than the 16 inch. Remember a lot of ULs are being turned into knuckles for the money, so it would be nice to see one kept as a rider.

Comment

Pre-war beats post war every time. Even Flathead VS Knuckle, I would likely go for the Flathead.

If you take a pass, feel free to pass along the sellers info!!!!!

Comment

Visual cue: the 1937-40 has the non-bypass flat side oil feed pump, 1941-48 the Type 2 with the bypass bulge in the casting.
              You can just install the 1941 relief spring in the early pump for more pressure, especially if using modern pistons with real oil rings.
              IMHO 18" wheels make the engine look bigger!
              The Linkert Book

Comment

I agree with everything Architect said. Another feature in Flathead's favor: fewer places to leak oil.
                Dave

Comment

I wouldn’t get stuck on a certain year, I’d study up and go after the best value for your money. Ride it and enjoy it. Your next bike can be Factory correct.
                  Good Luck, Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X