1930 VL springer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 VL springer question

I have what I believe to be an early 1930 VL springer. The pile of parts includes 2632-30 ball joints and the ball joint sockets. Are these considered the "screw in bushings"?
    A quick search of the parts #'s didn't return any results. Does anyone have or does anyone reproduce the ball joint sockets? Mine are egged out.

Is the 2632-31 bushing the best way to go in the absence of the early parts?

Thanks!

Dear Eddie, nice find and please don't alter it. The legs on the 1930 VL main forks have SC-100 forging numbers while 1931-up is TC-100. Likewise the rather weedy bridge on the 1930 spring fork was reinforced along the top for 1931-on as it cracks at the sides. The rocker stud holes, and the brake anchor stud hole are all 7/16" in 1930 then taken out to 1/2" for 1931. Even in 1930 Harley managed two forks, the early 1930 fork with the screw-in bushings and angled out grease connections (to clear the one-year front tool box) that you seem to have, then the late 1930 main fork with plain spring fork bushings and no grease connections. The 1930 Owners Handbook says you are supposed to oil these from the outside, but that idea didn't last long. For 1931 you have the long running bushings which lasted through the UL models. To fit these to an early 1930 fork you will need to countersink and mess up the threads, so please hold back. I bought a few sets of early 1930 screw-in bushings, no doubt made by someone on this bulletin board, but I've forgotten who and they are now all gone. Remember you also have one year spring rods and top springs for 1930, so Harley had engineering manhours to burn that year. There is no info on when the screw-in forks were discontinued, but my guess is around engine number 10,000, about two-thirds of the way through the 1930 production run.

Comment

Thanks Steve! I will have to look closely at the fork to see if it has threads. I know it doesn't have the angled grease fittings installed.
      I will do a better inspection when home in a few days

Comment

Working...
      X