1937 ul wheel spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 ul wheel spokes

I am preparing to purchase wheels for my 37 ul . what are the correct spokes cad. stainless ? thanks if you can help

Cad are correct, Stainless spokes did not exist then. What are you planning on doing with the bike? Show it, judging, riding primarily?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      Cad are correct, Stainless spokes did not exist then. What are you planning on doing with the bike? Show it, judging, riding primarily?
      If the bike is going to get ridden I would stay away from stainless spokes They can be a bear to work with and are prone to breakage. I have used stainless spokes on 3 different bikes and will never again.

Jerry

Comment

I was sold on stainless spokes in 1992. I had Buchanan's 21" stainless spokes on my ULH chopper. A car pulled off of a side road right in front of me at 9:30 pm. ( She didn't see me ). The wreck broke my '48 extended springer and bent the hell out of my front wheel. Not one of the stainless spokes broke ! Several spokes and nipples pulled through the rim, but none broke. I rebuilt the bike back to it's stock, original condition. I built the 16" wheels with Buchanan's unpolished stainless spokes, but I bead blasted the spokes before assembly. You can't tell them from cad. Also, unlike cad. spokes, they don't rust. I've broken cad. spokes just by hitting a pot hole. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I just talked to Buchanan’s yesterday as they just finished repair on an old rim. I got to talking to them about spokes as I was going to be sending mine to them to do the lacing. Asked them if they could send me a sample SS spoke so I could test out glass beading to compare it’s look to cad. He told me that he would send a sample of their SS spoke and send a sample of thier SS spoke that has been bead blasted by them. They apparently offer the bead blasting service on their SS spokes for a small additional fee. Once they get here in a few days, I can snap a pic of them and post here, if interested. I am in the same position of deciding whether to go original CAD or new SS that are bead blasted for my Indian.

Comment

101_0166.JPG101_0167.JPG I didn't know that they started to blast them. That would save me a lot of time. Thanks for letting us know! I'll try to post a pic of my wrecked rim with their spokes. ( I save everything ).
            Last edited by 41craig; 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advise i look forward to seeing a picture of the SS bead blasted spoke

Comment

Just for everyone's reference:

http://www.buchananspokes.com/

Comment

Bead blasted Buchanan's spokes. OEM used rim.
                  They do look very much like Cadmium only more uniform in finish
                  Attached Files

Comment

also still looking for decent shape step hubs anybody know of a source and what is your opinion of repop step hubs

Comment

Working...
                    X