31V Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31V Heads

Hi folks, Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? These are the heads for my 31V and you can see the 2 fins I’ve got the calipers pointing at slope down towards the edge whereas the same fins on the other head are flatter then rounded at the end. You can also see the difference between the 2 smallest fins at the front, left is flat whereas the right slopes down.

Both heads have 12.5 cubic inch, low compression, chambers and no other letters or numbers stamped or cast other than “PATD 11-13-23”. So in that regard they’re correct for my bike.
    You can also see a difference in the clearance between the boss for the primer cup and the nearest head bolt hole. One the left there’s a slight gap between them whereas on the right the head bolt surface actually cuts into the boss.

It’s always possible that one head has been replaced from a later model or with whatever the dealer had on hand. Or is it simply foundry tolerances?
    Either way they’re going on the bike. Purely curiosity on my behalf.

Fins.jpg

Primer.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter Cooke; 09-24-2021, 09:03 PM.

Dear Peter, the two heads will be made from two different patterns, so no reason why they should be exact mirror images of each other. I reckon the slope of the fins on the front head, left in your picture, is clearance for the travelling block in the throttle splitter, and for the rod that operates the throttle lever.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      I reckon the slope of the fins on the front head, left in your picture, is clearance for the travelling block in the throttle splitter, and for the rod that operates the throttle lever.
      Ah yes, good point. Thanks Steve.

Comment

Working...
      X