‘35 VLD — Led bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘35 VLD — Led bulbs

Wondering if anyone has gone down this path and swapped out their bulbs for LEDs? If so what did you use. I’d really like to get brighter park / rear brake light to avoid a driver not paying attention and ….adding brightness of an LED upfront would be a dramatic enhancement when I’m out at nite. Thanks.

Yes on the rear for 6v bikes. I bought a couple different styles from fleabay and, honestly, they helped at night but were actually harder to see in the bright sun. So I swapped back to incandescent as I don't ride true darkness on those bikes often. More dull at night, so I have four reflectors aft and try to wear reflective clothing if I think I'm going to get stuck out after dark.

as for headlamp, no. I haven't seen one with a good heat sink at a price that makes me want it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
      Yes on the rear for 6v bikes. I bought a couple different styles from fleabay and, honestly, they helped at night but were actually harder to see in the bright sun. So I swapped back to incandescent as I don't ride true darkness on those bikes often. ...
      Were the rear LEDs that you didn't like red or white? According to superbrightleds.com, red is more visible thru a red cover than white.
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I tried LED's in my VL also with unsatisfactory results. The rear red lens is very dark and it made the LED less visible than the original 6volt incandescent bulb. It was suggested that I try a halogen replacement instead and I had much improved results with that. As far as the headlight goes, the LED replacement light was so dispersed it also was not utilized and a halogen was used there also. MUCH brighter and the light was directed where desired. I believe the lens optics of the headlight itself was the controlling factor here. If I remember correctly, both halogens were obtained from "The Little British Car Company" (website) . They carry a lot of 6volt stuff and I was pleased with their service and products. I don't have a link but hopefully this information will help you. Good Luck. Smitty

Comment

These guys sell some fancy looking LED's and halogens as well.

Page Title (classicandvintagebulbs.com)

Comment

HDAce, I took a look around through my stuff and found the 2 boxes that the halogen bulbs from Little British Car Company (website Classic Bulbs.com) came in so you're in luck. This is the info right off the boxes for the bulbs I ordered and am using. ( By the way, Thanks again Ray for providing this information to me....worked out great!! ) The headlight info is 6v 35/35w APF base Part # 170-756H . The stop/taillight info is 6v 23/6w BA15d Part # 170-707H . If I remember correctly the headlight was around $30 and the taillight around $34 . I don't know why the taillight is more than the headlight but it is what it is. Both have worked flawlessly for a couple of years now at least. Don't touch the glass with your bare fingers during installation as with any halogen..Hope this helps......Smitty

Comment

Thanks Smitty. Will be order them soon.

Comment

Working...
              X