35 vld oil leaking from 2 place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 vld oil leaking from 2 place

Sorry but I can’t find answers in Mr. Slocombs book so maybe someone would be kind enough to provide an answer.

1. I have a oil leak from what appears to be a weep hole below the oil relief adj screw on the mechanical oil pump. How might I correct this issue so I don’t have oil all over the exhaust?

2. Another oil drip by the chain near the tranny. Assume this is the end of the relief pipe or??? Is there something missing, like a loop so the oil hits the chain or is this something else.

as always thanks for you assistants.

Jeff aka hdace ( hound dog Ace ).
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Re #2, It appears you have oil leaking past one, or both, tranny bearings. Either the roller bearing that the main drive gear runs in or the bronze bush inside the main drive gear that the main shaft runs through.

Nice dog.

Comment

What does that involve? Huh!

Comment

Gearbox rebuild using sealed bearings where possible if it's really annoying you. And you can have the main drive gear machined to accept a seal in the outer end as well.

Comment

That hole in the oil pump is not factory, so just block it up. On the primary side, remove the cover and you can see the end of the vent pipe. It has a plug in the end and several cuts underneath so that oil mist sprays on the top of the primary chain, and final chain, and rear tyre. 1934-36 VLs tend to be on the oily side. The chain oiler control just bypasses oil directly to the vent pipe, so with paved roads you can close it off. That hole at the bottom of the gearbox is probably to drain out water after deep wading. There is a similar hole on the kicker side. I've seen the left hand hole plugged. The copper gearbox seals are not perfect, and early handbooks said an oil drip the size of a quarter was acceptable. As said earlier, rebuild the box with modern oil seals if it's really getting to you.

Comment

Steve, I plugged that hole with JB weld and now it leaking out the leaver screw nut 0108 area. Needless to say the leaks with the oil pump are kicking my azz. Any suggestion? 76DD4DD7-27F4-4CDB-AE49-C7492243DE6A.jpeg

Comment

FYI. After a 20 mile ride oil was drip drip dripping out on to the exhaust. Pulled in garage and had to clean the air with a fan bc of the burnt oil hitting the exhaust. So far I have replace gaskets? Sealed the cam adj cover and plugged the hole on the bottom that’s not supposed to be there.

Comment

On the late oil pump Harley had a hardened steel cam shaft running in a die-cast alloy cam cover, and this wears over time and could be the cause of your leak. I've measured the shafts and been able to find covers with holes just a couple of thousandths larger for rebuilds so far, but ultimately someone is going to have to sleeve the cam cover or put in an oil seal. If you're getting a lot of oil in the cam cover this suggests the same problem with the body. In other words the rotating steel shaft driven by the #4 cam has worn the die-cast body of the pump, and oil is passing into the cover.

Comment

208003A6-FD84-452D-B814-A5E685FB1315.jpeg Steve, previously you said the hole was not factory and to plug it up which I did BUT…looking on page 68 ur manual/guide I can make out that hole. See pic. Should this be plugged up or not. I can find nothing explaining its function but Im guessing It’s there to help to bleed oil to the chain. Not sure. If you believe it is not necessary I Will leave it plugged

Comment

Working...
                  X