No announcement yet.

Source for oversized 2318-15 transmission case mounting bolt for 1931 Harley VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for oversized 2318-15 transmission case mounting bolt for 1931 Harley VL

Does anyone currently sale an oversized version of 2318-15 to replace a striped out transmission mounting bolt on a Harley VL. I found the Colony version for 1936 and up but no version for 1936 and earlier BT. Thanks!

Dear Buster, I've been Helicoiling the gearbox case and using the stock studs. It's a regular 3/8 UNC thread repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
      Does anyone currently sale an oversized version of 2318-15 to replace a striped out transmission mounting bolt on a Harley VL. I found the Colony version for 1936 and up but no version for 1936 and earlier BT. Thanks!
      Buster Have you checked on later OEM transmission studs. In the early knucklehead era the standard stud was a straight 3/8" stud with SAE course threads on one end and fine threads on the other. An oversize was listed as having 3/8" fine threads on one end and 7/16" threads on the other. In mid 1947 what had been the previous oversize stud now became the standard issue stud and the new oversize stud is listed as 3/8" fine thread on one end and 1/2" course thread on the other end.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Steve.

Comment

Dear Buster, the -36 studs are shorter than the -15 ones, so you usually have to omit the thick plain washer on the earlier bikes to secure the gearbox from underneath, if using the later studs.

Comment

Working...
          X