Transmission lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission lube

‘35 VLD. 74 c.i. 3 speed. Stupid q. My apologies. Been trying to figure out how to check transmission oil level. How do I do this and what level is correct? Thanks you. Been looking through Steve book and can’t find anything on it.

Set the bike on the rear center stand or if not available hold the bike in the riding verticle position.. Remove the filler plug. Oil level should be visible and about level or slightly higher than where the transmission case casting turns into the filler part of the casting.

Comment

Thank you slamiste! Will need to add. Going to use 75w-90 synthetic gear lube Mobile 1 unless you would recommend something else. Thanks again.

Comment

I've got no experience using gear lube. I just use 60 wt oil.

Comment

Harley Davidson Genuine Formula + Transmission & Primary Chaincase Lubricant... Exclusively Engineered for Harley-Davidson Engines.

Copied the above directly from the quart bottle I purchased from the local Harley Shop. Although I'm an Indian guy, I've been using this product for my transmission/clutch for more than 20years. We used to call it Sportster trans fluid. Indian's co-mingle the trans fluid and the clutch fluid through holes in the bottom of the trans case and the inner primary. Harley's don't share trans fluid with the clutch, but the idea is that Harley has engineered the trans fluid for lubrication for Sportster transmissions.

As far as Indians are concerned, I've been told that gear oil is NOT recommended if the clutch and transmission are inner-connected. If your Indian has the trans fluid isolated from the clutch assembly, the gear oil MAY be suitable in the transmission. Too heavy, the gear oil creates a sticky clutch. The original factory recommendation is SAE 50 in the trans/clutch. Check the level by putting the bike in the upright position, check the level by removing the small 1/8" pipe plug just under the worm gear on the primary cover. Level should just allow a small drip out of the inspection hole when the plug is removed. Too much oil is not good.

I like the Sportster Trans lube. It allows for a smoother clutch action, especially in the cold winter mornings (start-ups). It stays cleaner, even when co-mingled with the trans/clutch. If metal shows up (God forbid) in the trans/clutch when you change the oil at service intervals, you can see the metal suspended in the fluid. Where as with regular 50wt. the fluid is a darker color and any suspended particles are more difficult to see. I have magnets on the tip end of the drain plugs, everywhere I can. That helps ascertain the suspended metals, if I see a "fuzzy" ball of metal on the end of the magnet.

I have no idea what Harley recommends regarding maintenance or service data. Just a few comments from an Indian owner. Hope this adds some insight.

C2K

Comment

Slamiste is correct on the fluid level info. 50W or 60W is what they used originally but today any good gear oil will usually give satisfactory performance. Expect leakage as the original seals were not that good and have no doubt not gotten any better over the 85 yrs since they were new. They can be fitted with modern seals to alleviate this condition. I won't say problem because its not really, depending on your level of acceptance It's an 85 yr. old crashbox........very tolerant. Hope this helps......,.Smitty

Comment

Modern GL5 gear oils have additives that attack yellow metals like copper or bronze bushings. A GL4 or GL3 oil should be fine if it states on the label it is safe for synchromesh transmissions and brass bushings.
              Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. Is the a specific weight I should use? Brand recommendation? Thank you sir!✌

Comment

I use Harley 60 wt in my 3 VL's,

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA #12766

Comment

It's an 85 year old crashbox.........very tolerant. RIDE IT!!!

Comment

Howdy chaps,

This historically a large problem for BMW /2 transmissions. Be aware not all GL4’s provide the desired protection, you’ll need to research the additives. On the other hand, far more readily available is Mobil 1 Synthetic 75-90w used in all my machines and quoted from the tech section at their site.

Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its alloys.
                      Cheerio,
                      Peter
                      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thank you all for ur help. Much appreciated! Happy 4th America!

Comment

Working...
                        X