‘35 VLD Fuel line? - distance between petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘35 VLD Fuel line? - distance between petcocks

Hello all. I’m trying to figure out why a new repo fuel line purchased on Ebay made by Strange Bird is not fitting my VL. Anyone with a ‘34-‘36 could you measure distance between petcocks. I measured nut edge to nut edge on the compression fitting. It’s approx 4-1/4” between. The line bought on Ebay measures 5-1/4”.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

I have a set of reproduction 1934-36 tanks on my mixed year VL. My reproduction gas lines measure approx 5 1/4" from outside of one nut to outside of other nut. Bought lines a year ago and had to do extensive bending to make fit. Could your tanks be RL or DL? Don't no if gas line would be different.

Comment

Thanks Buster. I’m thinking tanks may not be positioned correctly if incorrect buffers were used. Pretty sure my tanks are VL
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

The repro fuel lines are made specifically for the 1934-36 VL tanks with slanted fuel outlets both sides and a gas filter. If you do not have all those features you are in for some serious re-bending.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=286977&d=1623761422&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=286975&d=1623761421&type=thumb Steve. My tanks have the features you describe. Strange Birds line is too long at the filter by 1/2” with filter positioned all the way forward and an inch too wide at the petcocks. the line on the right side crosses the battery positive terminal ( bad) shorting the fuse and sits flesh against the battery box also not desirable. nothing I can do but bend and braze my own other than drive it 1000 miles to Billy’s place.
          Attached Files
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          Last edited by Hdace; 06-15-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Buster, thanks for the earlier reply. Any chance I can get a pic with the measuring tape showing 5-1/4. Would like to compare to mine to see why mine are only 4-1/4 vs yours. Thank you sir.

Comment

I cannot get photo showing both lines from top due to seat in the way. But my right petcock comes out of tank parallel with top rail of frame and my left petcock angles out away from frame. Do both of your petcocks angle back to rear or do they both point straight down. If they point straight down they could be 1930-33 tanks and the straight down petcocks would make line too long at strainer.

Comment

Can you loosen float bowl and twist to move strainer forward so line not to long.

Comment

In your first photo the left side petcock is closer to frame than right side. Both petcocks should be same distance away from frame as right side petcock. Left side petcock should slightly angle sideways away from frame. I think your left side tank is incorrect. Tank spacers would not be the problem since the top of tank is fixed by the frame bolts. Sorry I cannot get photos.

Comment

I've never mounted one of these fuel lines without some re-bending, so the question is how much is too much? I have a couple of 1935 VLs with the fuel lines mounted, so give me a couple of days to take pictures.

Comment

Buster. Pic is just not straight on. Tanks identical mirror to one another. Gas comes out at angle not straight down and both sides come out the same in parallel. Bowl and filter is spun all the way forward so not that.

Comment

I have slowed the leak down to bout 3-4 drips a day. Will first try bending the Strange Bird line. If doesnt work to satisfaction will be making my own line. Thank you all for ur responses.

Comment

Steve. Thanks .. I would like to see the pics of ur bikes when u can to see how the fuel lines are set up. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hdace View Post
                            ... and both sides come out the same in parallel.
                            Could that be part of your problem? Left hand outlet should have ~25 degree outwards offset.

3501-32 VL tanks (replicantmetals.com)
                            Last edited by Peter Cooke; 06-16-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Here are two 1935 VLs with the repro gas lines IMG_2641.JPGIMG_2642.JPGIMG_2643.JPG fitted. The right side is straightforward, with the slanted tank outlet fitted to the gas line then going behind the seat post tube and in front of the battery box. On the left hand side the key feature is that the gas line runs outside the shifter mechanism rather than inside. On the earlier gas tanks with a straight left outlet the fuel line came vertically down, nearly touching the rear cylinder and potentially boiling the gas to give vapour lock. Note that both lines have been bent differently on the left side, as this a typical three-dimensional Harley fit with small clearances. If you can clear the rear shifter linkage and the coil you should be in good shape. It's hard to measure with the tanks installed, but the gas lines appear to be 4.5 - 5" apart. The bike with iron heads is a VLD and the aluminium heads a VLDD.

Comment

Working...
                              X