‘35 VL gas leaks at petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘35 VL gas leaks at petcocks

Compression fitting not seating correctly so been trying to seal threads. Unfortunately for some unknown reason new gas line by Strange Bird does not fit and have worked with them but no solution other than to temporary seal old line until a new custom made is done. Any suggestion for a good sealant that won’t breakdown. Been trying permatex gasket dressing and sealant which is supposed to be gas resistant but fails. Any suggestion for a good gas impenetrable sealant? Was going to try permatex aviation no. 3 80019 next but thought I ask for suggestions before. Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

"Red-Cote" tank sealer, HDace,..

Is one of the very few pliable goobers that absolutely resists P4gas,.. so far. But you gotta buy a can of it.

Permatex's "the Right Stuff" survived my immersion tests, even though the can said it wouldn't. Its expensive, too.

"Seal-All" works pretty well until you hit the wrong combination of pumps, and its reasonably priced at common hardware stores.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-12-2021, 09:32 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

These are metal-to-metal seals on the gas line so should not need anything else. There are three different threads, at the tank valve, gas filter and float bowl inlet, so check with Strange Bird and make sure your set-up is as for the 1934-36 fuel line.

Comment

Thanks Steve. Would you know the oem part number for the fuel line? Also are there any rubber seals use on the fuel line on a ‘35 VLD? Thank you!

Comment

Should be a 3606-32, right?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

No rubber seals. Next thing that will start leaking is the petcocks in their metal to metal tapers.

Comment

Thanks for the jinx
              Last edited by Hdace; 06-15-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Leaking compression fittings can usually be stopped without goop.Since the seal is ,as mentioned , metal to metal and not the threads,
                take some thick teflon tape,the 3/4" stuff and cut a strip the width of the ferrule face and wrap the seat face about 2-3 times,not the threads and assemble.Dont overtighten.
                Teflon tape is ribbon packing unlike a sealer.
                Tom

Comment

I think we will all agree, Tom,..

HDace was only asking for opinions on 'bandaids'.

Teflon tape falls into that catagory too.

I lost my pic of a conical wafer-thin piece o' PEEK for the compression fit upon a damaged bronze Scheb bowl. It must have worked.
                  Anybody want to buy some PEEK scrap?

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    I think we will all agree, Tom,..

HDace was only asking for opinions on 'bandaids'.

Teflon tape falls into that catagory too.

I lost my pic of a conical wafer-thin piece o' PEEK for the compression fit upon a damaged bronze Scheb bowl. It must have wor

....Cotten
                    I dont know what he was only asking about.I thought he was trying to stop a leaking compression fitting.Teflon tape works.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Hdace View Post
                      ... but no solution other than to temporary seal old line until a new custom made is done.....
                      Some bandaids last longer than others, Folks!

The hard part about teflon tape, Tom,...

Is keeping it from showing.

...Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I wish to purchase a lapping tool to help the seal between the fuel line compression fitting. Anyone know what size tools I need to do this and have a recommendation for a lapping tool. Thank you in advance for you input.

Comment

Working...
                        X