Cam adj plate leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam adj plate leak

Hi y’all. Would appreciate suggestion how to fix this oil leak at the point on the arrow...that being the cam adjuster plate. ‘35 VLD. Drips down and on to exhaust so not pleasant. New to vintage bikes and would appreciate ur help. Thank you.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

The late VL oil pump is a triumph of engineering over common sense, and having hardened steel shafts rotate in diecast bodies was not their smartest move. It could be the main rotating shaft has worn the body, and oil is leaking past into the cam cover, and that is a tricky fix. I would remove the pump and strip it down to check for wear and that there are no missing parts. I have also seen pumps with home made gaskets under the cam adjuster plate, so this may not be an uncommon item.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      The late VL oil pump is a triumph of engineering over common sense,...
      Until the Indian aluminum pump stole its crown, Steve...

(Gears simultaneously pumping against each other!)

....Cotten

AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi all! Happy Father’s Day.

Any suggestions where to buy gaskets for the oil pump on my ‘35 VLD. Pulling it off to fix a leak on the cam adj cover and need the gaskets to do the job. Been searching for over an hour and I can’t find any. Who’s got’em?

Comment

I've got them and probably Replicant Metals. How are you getting on?

Comment

Had the same problem with my 34 VLD . I had the pump apart a few times & tried all kinds of things I think what finally fixed it was lapping the two surfaces & using yamabond to seal them . Before I fixed it , I would put a rag in the cover to catch the drips & change it after every ride . Not a fix , but it worked . Good luck

Comment

Steve. I talk with Tom at Replicant Metals who was great. Thanks for the lead. Seem they have some other great repo part as well.

Comment

So this leak is putting out clean fresh oil. Thought I would drain the oil from the oil lever thinking maybe too much oil in the crank and to my surprise the oil was black. If the engine works on the bases of total loss regarding oil why would the leaks at the oil pump be clean and the oil in the crank be black? Is this normal or is something not right about this? Thank you.

Comment

Gasket on the cam adj cover worked but has exposed another leak issue. There’s a weep hole below the oil relief adj screw. How is this leak minimized? Thanks.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                  X