VL vin number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL vin number

I have a VD with a D at the end of the VIN. What is the meaning behind the D at the end? I was told it is a rare 80" motor they put out in 1935. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

I ent my flathead book o a buddy as he needed soem info on a B model he bought so I on't have it in front of me but if you can ind thwe Flatheads by Jerrry Hatfield it has what a VLDD is. Think it might be high compression for package truck. Steve Slocomb will know.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

VLDD would indeed be an 80 inch model from 1935 (rare), but he said the extra "D" was at the end of the number so I'm not sure what he meant. I believe at some point during the VL's run there was a "D" in the number somewhere signifying "Dow Metal" pistons, so maybe that's what he's referring to. The location of the "D" in the sequence of numbers and letters makes all the difference in its meaning. Hope this helps........Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
        I ent my flathead book o a buddy as he needed soem info on a B model he bought so I on't have it in front of me but if you can ind thwe Flatheads by Jerrry Hatfield it has what a VLDD is. Think it might be high compression for package truck. Steve Slocomb will know.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766
        What book? Sorry, I searched and many came up and I didn't understand the message above. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
          VLDD would indeed be an 80 inch model from 1935 (rare), but he said the extra "D" was at the end of the number so I'm not sure what he meant. I believe at some point during the VL's run there was a "D" in the number somewhere signifying "Dow Metal" pistons, so maybe that's what he's referring to. The location of the "D" in the sequence of numbers and letters makes all the difference in its meaning. Hope this helps........Smitty
          35VDxxxxD

Any information is appreciated.

Comment

Hi everybody and the 35VLDD is a special 80 cube bike built mostly in later 1935 only. Some 179 were made of which maybe a dozen survive. It's a Harley stroker, with the crank pin moved 1/8" out to give 4 1/4" stroke and increase engine capacity from 74 to 80 cubic inches. That's why the 36VLH 80 has 1935 part numbers for the flywheel assembly. Read my VL book for more details. Here's a picture of mine, restored as a CHP pursuit bike with the aluminum heads tested in CAL in 1935. The cylinders were 7-bolt, but gas flowed/relieved like the 9-bolt 36VLH ones and given their own part number. There is a picture of a nos cylinder in the book. The number format is 35VLD1234D with the D at the end. I kept this info out of the book to stop people doctoring 35VLDs, but I think Harley spaced the numbers so you couldn't do this to a regular VLD. The bikes had the optional hook cams on the inlets, with no more lift but lots of duration. Again there is is a photo in the book. The VLDDs had spacer plates under the cylinders like the VLH, and the carburetor venturi taken out from 1 1/16" to 1 1/8". My bike is good for 100 mph and can be seen on the VL Heaven Website. For completeness, the VLD was a 74 cube sport solo, the VD was a medium compression 74, the VFD was a low compression commercial 74, and the VDD(S) was a 1935 only 80 cube sidecar motor. All in the book guys.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 05-21-2021, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
              Hi everybody and the 35VLDD is a special 80 cube bike built mostly in later 1935 only. Some 176 were made of which maybe a dozen survive. It's a Harley stroker, with the crank pin moved 1/8" out to give 4 1/4" stroke and increase engine capacity from 74 to 80 cubic inches. That's why the 36VLH 80 has 1935 part numbers for the flywheel assembly. Read my VL book for more details. Here's a picture of mine, restored as a CHP pursuit bike with the aluminum heads tested in CAL in 1935. The cylinders were 7-bolt, but gas flowed/relieved like the 9-bolt 36VLH ones and given their own part number. There is a picture of a nos cylinder in the book. The number format is 35VLD1234D with the D at the end. I kept this info out of the book to stop people doctoring 35VLDs, but I think Harley spaced the numbers so you couldn't do this to a regular VLD. The bikes had the optional hook cams on the inlets, with no more lift but lots of duration. Again there is is a photo in the book. The VLDDs had spacer plates under the cylinders like the VLH, and the carburetor venturi taken out from 1 1/16" to 1 1/8". My bike is good for 100 mph and can be seen on the VL Heaven Website. For completeness, the VLD was a 74 cube sport solo, the VD was a medium compression 74, the VFD was a low compression commercial 74, and the VDD(S) was a 1935 only 80 cube sidecar motor. All in the book guys.
              Thank you Steve. So does this also apply to this VIN? 35VDxxxxD
              thanks, Sean

Comment

Dear Sean, I would guess so, just in 1935, but have not seen one yet, .and the Harley 'Legend Begins' book does not report any being built. The VL Register shows a set of engine cases with possible VDD numbers spotted in Iowa in 1998, but I have not seen them. If they exist, they would be a medium or low compression 80 cube bike, possibly for sidecar use. While we're talking about rarities, there seems to have been least one 34VLDD built, with a real high engine number in the 9000s, and maybe a test bike for the 1935 season 80 cuber.

Comment

The Legend Begins mentions the 35VDDS on page 218 but not on page 202 where the 1935 production figures are. But the book does not list all amounts for all years and even the figures it contains are not to be regarded as totally accurate according to page 198. However the book includes this 1935 season order blank which describes the VDDS as an 80” twin with low compression and sidecar gearing and bars.

Does your last D look original to the motor? And are the rest of the characters consistent with factory stamping? Partial photo? What are the belly numbers? Photos?
                  Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric and the 35VLDJ is another model I'd like to see, presumably with the J at the end of the engine number. This is another one-year model for 1935, maybe like the earlier E motors or fast motors, built loose and bench tested as a competition machine. With 102 built, I would have expected to have seen a couple by now, so maybe the J was stamped elsewhere in the cases, or on the cylinder base flange. Does anyone know for sure?
                    Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 05-21-2021, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Cheers Steve. I have no photos yet of a 35VLDJ but I’d expect the J to be at the end of the SN. A 1935 model layout sheet may have that info but the only sheets I have are for 31 and 33. Maybe Herb Wagner would have a layout sheet for 35, or at least have access to one?
                      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
                        The Legend Begins mentions the 35VDDS on page 218 but not on page 202 where the 1935 production figures are. But the book does not list all amounts for all years and even the figures it contains are not to be regarded as totally accurate according to page 198. However the book includes this 1935 season order blank which describes the VDDS as an 80” twin with low compression and sidecar gearing and bars.

Does your last D look original to the motor? And are the rest of the characters consistent with factory stamping? Partial photo? What are the belly numbers? Photos?
                        Eric

What do you mean by Sidecar bars? The bike has handlebars that look like what we call Hollywood Bars.

Comment

What do you mean by Sidecar bars? The bike has handlebars that look like what we call Hollywood Bars.
                          Sidecar bars are wider than standard solo bars.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Temple View Post
                            What do you mean by Sidecar bars?

What was the verdict regarding the serial number? Consistent with factory stamping? Partial photo? I’m also interested in whether or not the two Ds are the same style and size as each other.
                            Eric

Comment

They are exactly the same. Not the best pic attached.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X