45 3-speed shift pattern reversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 3-speed shift pattern reversal

I have a 1946 servi 3-speed with reverse. Works great but shift pattern is backwards, with reverse all the way back. Looking from the seat it’s R-1-N-2-3 where it should be opposite as my shift gate shows 3-2-N-1-R. Is it possible to flip the shift cam or is this a more extensive change needed? Thank you.

Originally posted by skidshoe View Post
    I have a 1946 servi 3-speed with reverse. Works great but shift pattern is backwards, with reverse all the way back. Looking from the seat it’s R-1-N-2-3 where it should be opposite as my shift gate shows 3-2-N-1-R. Is it possible to flip the shift cam or is this a more extensive change needed? Thank you.
    You need the other shifting cam. There are 2 shifting cams for WL/Servi. One that works 1941 thru 1946 and the other is 1947 and newer. Jerry

Comment

You can just change the shift drum to year correct and it will reverse the shift pattern. They are on the Bay all the time, Palmer has an excellent description tot tell them apart.

Is your gate correct for your current shifting? You may need to change to earlier tanks to accept the correct -46 and down shift gate.

Comment

Talked to Warren at 45 Restoration and he said flip flopping the shift cam is a myth. After removing and opening my transmission, I don't see how one could even flop it anyway, so it looks like I asked a fool question. I have the earlier tanks and my transmission is stamped a J5 with a -40 number I believe. My guess is someone switched the drum at some point if it was still in a servicar to match the later tanks I got with all the parts for this project. I think I'll order the earlier shift cam and move forward since I wanted to leave the reverse in the transmission and run the reverse shift gate. I like the confused look on peoples faces when they see that, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by skidshoe View Post
          Talked to Warren at 45 Restoration and he said flip flopping the shift cam is a myth. After removing and opening my transmission, I don't see how one could even flop it anyway, so it looks like I asked a fool question. I have the earlier tanks and my transmission is stamped a J5 with a -40 number I believe. My guess is someone switched the drum at some point if it was still in a servicar to match the later tanks I got with all the parts for this project. I think I'll order the earlier shift cam and move forward since I wanted to leave the reverse in the transmission and run the reverse shift gate. I like the confused look on peoples faces when they see that, haha.
          Flipping the lever is a Big Twin thing - not in a WL/G. Jerry

Comment

Working...
          X