45 scavenger pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 scavenger pump

Freshly rebuilt 1946 G model engine. Starts easy and runs well but I haven't seen any return oil spitting into my tank. Tanks are repop tanks that I've sealed but also checked to know that the feed, return and vent are open and not plugged with tank sealer. Oil feed pump is a G model that's thinner with only one check valve on the back. When I opened the cam chest there's obviously been oil splashed everywhere. Scavenger is timed as it should be so I reassembled side cover and started up again but no oil back to the tank. I did however take the return line loose at the tank and I'm getting oil out the top of this line, nothing like our other 45's, but no oil dripping into the tank yet. Do I assume it's cycling? Do I test oil pressure on the pump side to know that's where it should be?

Scavenger is timed as it should be so

Please describe what you did
    The Linkert Book

Comment

Timed it just like the book says with relation to the notch in the scavenger gear and the timing mark on the flywheel, just like I've done on other 45's I've assembled. I knew I timed it the first time, but had to pull the cover just to make sure. Started a WR this morning and within 10 seconds had a solid stream of return in the oil tank. Starting to think my oil pump maybe is not feeding enough oil. If this is the case, why is the scavenger pump returning oil to the top of the return line where it connects to the tank, but not pushing the oil all the way to the top of the line inside the tank?

Comment

Sorry, I had to ask! Very common error: timing the dot to the cam marks.
        Can't think of anything immediately, have you opened the sludge trap to see if the case is filling up?
        The Linkert Book

Comment

skidshoe,
          Use a small mirror and look in your oil tank on your WR. You should be able to see the hole in the return line. Now look in your repop tank. Several that I have seen doesn't have this hole. On OEM tanks the return line runs up behind the filler hole and down to the bottom of the tank and has that hole in behind the filler opening. Without this hole, you can't see if your scavenger pump is working and eventually all the oil will be siphoned into the bottom end since there is not check ball in the scavenger pump to prevent it.

Comment

skidshoe,
            Did you get your oil pump problem resolved?

Comment

Working...
            X