Flathead 45 cylinder baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IC
    is there not enough splash oil ftom the flywheels? I know my shovel heads drain and lube the skirts. What are skirt oilers?
    Thanks
    Pete

Comment

Not enough reaches the front cylinder, hence the baffle.
      The Linkert Book

Comment

The 1952-56 K etc. had pinion oil pressure directed through the cam cover gasket to the right case, then up to a hole on each flange location. This matches a hole in each K flange, oil squirted through the wall on to the piston.
        Many methods have been used to accomplish this in 45 & UL engines as where the oil is taken from, where does the hole enter, how big, etc. It must enter below the lowest point of oil ring travel so it's height-sensitive. IIRC the K is .040"? Smaller holes clog from oil debris.
        A tap off some feed pump passage is generally the choice. It should be pressurized, so return oil is the worst choice.

The Linkert Book

Comment

Thanks Kitabel

Comment

Early Indian, Thor and some racers ran a separate oil line to the bottom of the front cylinder, but Harley seems always to have used baffle design for lubrication. In respect to William S Harley I try to leave the baffles as they were designed.

Comment

IMHO the area of the opening is far wider than needed for side clearance to the connecting rod, and is probably some proportion of the cylinder displacement, case volume, etc.
              The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
              X