Wanted Starter drive pinion for Servicar 11 teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Starter drive pinion for Servicar 11 teeth

For my 1964 Servicar I am looking for a starter drive pinion with 11 teeth.

Dave

I really hate telling you this but you probably will never find a usable one. The last nos one I saw sold for 1000.00. The last good used one I saw sold for 750.00. Bothe sold over 5 years ago. I suggest you consider changing the starter system out to a later 1966-1973 oem one or go with the modern replacement unit sold at ww.vtwinrebuild.com . Keep your original though.

Comment

Paps,

I welded up the last 1/4" of the drive. The issue I am having is the starter does not engage every time. I think I am going to have the starter rebuilt and see if that helps.

Dave

Comment

Did you change out the starter bendix shaft bushings ? Do not grease any of the starter shaft components except for the very ends of the shaft that enter the two bushings. Is your unit equipped with the external engagement helper spring ? The factory modified the second batch of the units with an engagement helper spring to try and resolve engagement issues. It helped some but did not solve the issue completely. Also the rubber cushions encased in the metal caps on the starter shaft become reduced in width after some use. This issue also makes for poor engagement and disengagement. Additionally there is a very intended weak return spring on the starter shaft which looses its tension specs very quickly. This also causes all of the same engagement and disengagement issues. The factory had to quickly come up with a fix for that 2 year only starter unit. To many customers like fleet buyers were under factory warranties. They soon developed the 1966-1973 unit to fix all of those issues. The new unit had its issues as well. If an engine was not perfectly tuned, timing was not retarded just right for start up of the engine, the engine would tend to kick back and toss the load into the starter unit, lifting the transmission lid up, thus breaking off the starter unit cast iron lid casting, most of the breakage occurring at the very thin mounting screw ears near the shifter gear and the outer corners of the casting. Fixes for those breakages never hold long. I personally believe the use in engineering of the the tapered head lid mounting screws acted simular to a wood splitting wedge and aided in the eventually to come breakages early than they would have come. If the engineering of the casting was designed so it could not have broken from engine kick back at the casting mounting screw holes, internal components would have broken instead. The trick of good engineering was to come up with a unit that would spin freely in reverse when engine kick back occurs. The new modern units incorporate this engineering.

Comment

Yes , I changed the bushings. It does have the external spring. Will the 1966- 1973 starter motor bolt in place of my Delco starter? It seems to me that the starter does not spin fast enough to make the bendix engage the clutch gear teeth all of the time.

Thanks for the information

Comment

As I recall the later starter motor will fit.

Comment

Great thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X