1931 Harley VL rear brake shoe linings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Harley VL rear brake shoe linings

I need to replace rear brake shoe linings on my 1931 Harley VL. I found a part number 4044-31, but not sure if correct. Does anyone make a replacement for these linings, is there another model Harley brake lining that will fit, or do you have to make your own? Thanks.
    Last edited by Buster; 12-27-2020, 10:25 AM.

The brake shoes are getting tough to find for the VLs, so if you have them you are ahead of the game. Early aftermarket nos linings used to be available, probably in authentic asbestos, but have dried up in recent years. Check to see if Easy Russ still has some left. If not, I would use modern bonded linings, with the advantage that you can ask for them to be slightly thicker than original to make up for brake drum wear.

Two more tips. For the front brakes use the military WLA/WLC shoes with linings, now being reproduced and a tad thicker than original. For 1935/6 rears with the adjustable brake shoe pivot stud, I have used the 1938 and up Big Twin shoes and linings, again being reproduced, and made them fit.

Comment

I have this set of shoes that came with a JD project. Don't know what they fit, looks Japanese to me.
      Attached Files

Comment

Harley did use aluminium front brake shoes early on, but those don't look like them and the springs are incorrect. There must have been a tiny weight saving, but some shoes broke up in service and they were soon replaced with the steel ones.

Comment

Working...
        X