1934-1936 R Model Servi Car Motor Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934-1936 R Model Servi Car Motor Numbers

What would be the correct motor number for a 1934-1936 R Model Servi Car? I am looking for a motor for one. I found a couple online but don't know what the motor number should be for a Servi Car. I don't think Servi Car motors were stamped with a G until 1937. Should the correct motor be stamped with an R, RL, or RLD for a Servi Car?

You don't see them very often, but the ones I have seen have all been plain R motors. There would be no reason to put a high compression engine in an early Servi.

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
      I don't think Servi Car motors were stamped with a G until 1937.

Welcome to the forum. I have a book that says the same thing but it’s wrong. (It was corrected to 38 in a later edition.)

On this 1933 layout sheet you’ll notice Servi-Cars had motor numbers with the letter R.

Servi-Cars for 1932 and 1934–36 also had R-stamped motors.
      Servi-Cars for 1937 had motors marked W and this was confirmed by Herb Wagner in a discussion on the CAImag forum in 2011.
      It wasn’t until the 1938 model year that Servi-Car engines were stamped G.

If you’re looking at 1934–36 models remember engine numbers began at 1000 but they didn’t go very high. Also check the belly numbers. Originally no date codes on 1934–36 crankcases.
      Eric

Comment

Dear Eric, all the 1934-36 VLs have belly numbers/date codes, so why not the R models?

Comment

Steve, obviously I agree they have belly numbers.

But date codes on 1934–36 V-series crankcases? I haven’t seen that yet. (Apart from on a couple of V-series replacement cases that appear to have been cast in 1940.) And I haven’t seen date codes on 1934–36 R-series crankcases.
          Eric

Comment

Sorry Eric, I was thinking you meant belly numbers. By date codes you must mean those little casting date plaques on the number side of the crankcase. I guess they didn't come until later, does anybody know when?

Comment

Sorry Eric, I was thinking you meant belly numbers. By date codes you must mean those little casting date plaques on the number side of the crankcase. I guess they didn't come until later, does anybody know when?
              Middle of 1938

Comment

Thanks Steve. Earliest Flathead crankcases I've seen with date codes are U-series cast in April 38. Clearest example of D 8 so far is on this R-H case.

Belly number on the Flathead case is 38-4+++.

Earliest Knuckle crankcases I've seen with date codes appear to have C 8 for March 38.

Belly number on the Knuckle case is 38-3+++.

Also found with March 38 date codes are BT trans case lids.
                I have no examples yet of aluminium date codes for Feb 38 or earlier.
                Eric

Comment

Spencer

Even though 1937 Serv-cars were called G's they did not get the G in the serial number until 1938. Both OEM 1937 Servi_cars I have seen had a W in the serial number for model identification.

Jerry

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                  What would be the correct motor number for a 1934-1936 R Model Servi Car? I am looking for a motor for one. I found a couple online but don't know what the motor number should be for a Servi Car. I don't think Servi Car motors were stamped with a G until 1937. Should the correct motor be stamped with an R, RL, or RLD for a Servi Car?

Comment

Thanks Eric for the great pictures and info. Isn't it great to keep learning new stuff about old bikes thanks to this forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X