1936 Harley VL Reverse Gear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Harley VL Reverse Gear ?

I was going through a few boxes Big Twin transmission gears and can't identify one that looks like a 1936 - 1979 mainshaft reverse & low gear, but is longer in length and is not cut for a sliding gear. It is marked with an R on one end and it has 15 and 16 teeth as the '36 - '79 reverse gears have. It also has a V stamped in the side of it. Any help identifying would be great. I have it pictured with a used early and NOS late gear.

CraigCIMG1632.JPGCIMG1633.JPGCIMG1635.JPGCIMG1636.JPG

It looks like it could be a '36 OHV and '37-'38 Big Twin and OHV reverse cluster. They did not use sliding gears and shifted R-N-1-2-3. I think I have a CS gear to match it.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It's not from the VL reverse box because that used two slider gears and the regular VL mainshaft with four slots. It's also not from the VL 1936 four speed because that is stubbier. I think I also have one of your gears nos, mistakenly bought at Davenport thinking it was VL four speed. My guess it is either 2297-39 from the one year 1939 gearbox, or 2296-36A from the 1936-38 reverse box.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
        It's not from the VL reverse box because that used two slider gears and the regular VL mainshaft with four slots. It's also not from the VL 1936 four speed because that is stubbier. I think I also have one of your gears nos, mistakenly bought at Davenport thinking it was VL four speed. My guess it is either 2297-39 from the one year 1939 gearbox, or 2296-36A from the 1936-38 reverse box.
        Steve, the -39 part isn't one year only in reverse or 3 speed boxes, it was used all the way through the '60s until the -70 part replaced it.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Craig

For sure that is 36 to 38 reverse mainshaft (r and 1st) cluster. It was used in the constantamesh reverser
          before they went to the sliding gear set up in 1939.

Jerry

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
          I was going through a few boxes Big Twin transmission gears and can't identify one that looks like a 1936 - 1979 mainshaft reverse & low gear, but is longer in length and is not cut for a sliding gear. It is marked with an R on one end and it has 15 and 16 teeth as the '36 - '79 reverse gears have. It also has a V stamped in the side of it. Any help identifying would be great. I have it pictured with a used early and NOS late gear.

Craig[ATTACH=CONFIG]27065[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27066[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27067[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27068[/ATTACH]

Comment

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies ! I just measured it and it is 2 1/2" long and the recess is 1/4". These are the dimensions that Palmer gives for the M/S 3 speed cluster gear for the 1936 61 models and 1937 - 1938 Big Twins. Now I need to see if I have ant matching gears.

Thanks again, CraigCIMG1639.JPGCIMG1640.JPG

Comment

If you do they will likely also have the stamped "V" in them. My NOS CS reverse gear does.
                Last edited by Rubone; 01-21-2020, 12:38 PM.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, and maybe I can finally get my money back on that nos gear bought years ago.

Comment

I would have the rest of the gear set except the reverse counter gear cluster but you can use the 1939 and up reverse counter gear cluster in it's place. As a side note - You would not however be able to use 1936 to 1938 counter gear cluster on a 1939 and up reverse trans.

Jerry

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                    Thanks to everyone for your replies ! I just measured it and it is 2 1/2" long and the recess is 1/4". These are the dimensions that Palmer gives for the M/S 3 speed cluster gear for the 1936 61 models and 1937 - 1938 Big Twins. Now I need to see if I have ant matching gears.

Thanks again, Craig[ATTACH=CONFIG]27069[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27070[/ATTACH]
                    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-27-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X