Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1936 VLD Shift Gate - is this origional or repop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 VLD Shift Gate - is this origional or repop?

As most of you know, the 1936 VL's had a specific shift gate, with a "bullet" attached to the rear, allegedly to stop from snagging your pants. Can anyone confirm if this rather worn gate is an old repop or an original?

The letters are 3 different heights seen below. LOW, NEUTRAL, SECOND and HIGH are 0.175" while GAS is 0.200" high and OIL is 0.250" high. The necked down area under OIL is 0.450" wide.
    IMG_0886.jpg

The bullet is welded on, not brazed, as I would have expected. I don't want to waste time refurbishing and re-chroming this if its not original.
    IMG_0887.jpg
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

It's real. No doubt in mymind. "Bullet" was a running change that MAKES it real.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

It was me making the reproduction shifter gates and it was not so long ago that they would get so pitted as in your pictures. Re-chroming is going to cost about the same as a new gate, and you might get back a shiny flat piece of metal with no lettering left. I would think about saving this part for an original bike.

Comment

Steve, you are correct on the lettering, it would need to be re-stamped prior to chrome. I don’t have any letter stamps, much less all 3 letter heights.

No one seems to offer a repop, chrome 3 speed shift gate with a bullet. Guess I’ll need to find a non-chromed 3 speed gate and make a bullet to weld on.
        1936 VLD in process
        1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
        1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
        2006 KTM 950 Adventure
        2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

My repros are all sold out, but maybe Harbor Vintage, Replicant Metals or Sagebrush Cycle still have one left.

Comment

Working...
          X