No announcement yet.

Manifold Nipple Repair Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know. Thanks for posting your results.

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
    Copper didn't work out for a few reasons. I tried a few ways and a few forms, and it just wasn't working.

Next up was the Gasoila E-seal. This stuff is... awesome. I called one of their chemists and talked to him for a minute, and he seemed to think this would be no problem for their product, which was apparently developed for far more demanding situations.

I cleaned everything up with alcohol and let it sit for a day, then applied the E-seal, then let it cure for 24 hrs. Made a rivet plug of E-seal and capped it with RTV, let that cure, then hit it with another cap.

Held to 15 pounds. I put the bike back together with Bruce's PEEK intake seals and took it for a ride, seems to be doing just fine after some carby dialing. I got a retorque on the head bolts today. I wanna get some miles on it, but for right now, it appears as though this was my magic bullet.

Time will tell.

Comment

Right on. Thanks for the input.

I'll report back in due time.
      I gotta ask, Gov,....

Is this for yourself, or a customer, or ?

Gawd forbid its family, or even local: The 'due time' is forever.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        I gotta ask, Gov,....

Is this for yourself, or a customer, or ?

Gawd forbid its family, or even local: The 'due time' is forever.

....Cotten
        Personal bike. I'm not sure I would make repair of antiques a business venture. Modern bikes? Different story; work on those for cash often.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "due time," sir.

I'll check back in with more miles and months under my belt; success or failure is immaterial. We learn by way of many data points. My engine will be a data point for someone else.

Comment

...I'm not sure what you mean about the "due time," sir. ..
          Weren't those your words, Gov?

No matter how long it takes, please let us know how it goes...

It may not be sudden.

....Cotten
          PS:
          ... I'm not sure I would make repair of antiques a business venture....
          You would have to be out of your mind,.. trust me on that.
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-05-2019, 01:26 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

I didn't understand your point regarding family or a local customer as it relates to due time. I meant that I would report back at a time in the future after things have some time to settle and bed in, whether for better or worse.

I think the issue with antique stuff is that unlike modern motorcycles where OEM parts are readily available and "replace with known good part" is not very hard, antiques have a pretty broad range of conditions and a wide spread of owner expectations. It's rare a modern motorcycle has seen much fckery, and thus they're often just generally more straightforward to repair.

At least that's been my experience. There are occasional jobs I'll do on older motorcycles, but I get kind of picky about them. If I can't make money, then my wrenches can rest.

Comment

Yes, Gov,...

Antique stuff is different.

And I agree it would be a bad career choice.

It was for me.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Gov, thanks for posting this thread and I look forward to hearing updates. I've been battling similar problems with a leaking rear nipple on mine as well. Currently I was able to seal up a couple of small nipple leaks with fluid weld. That paired with a set of cottonsmanifold PEEK seals have me back on the road. I'm worried about longevity though. I plan on a more long term solution of pulling the nipples and installing new as soon as the weather turns if need be. Unfortunately looking at mine it seems that the threads for the KR nipples were cut too deep as the threaded nipples dont have a shoulder to press against and seal. Cheers!
                Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
                -good ol GD

Comment

Originally posted by montuckymatt View Post
                  Gov, thanks for posting this thread and I look forward to hearing updates. I've been battling similar problems with a leaking rear nipple on mine as well. Currently I was able to seal up a couple of small nipple leaks with fluid weld. That paired with a set of cottonsmanifold PEEK seals have me back on the road. I'm worried about longevity though. I plan on a more long term solution of pulling the nipples and installing new as soon as the weather turns if need be. Unfortunately looking at mine it seems that the threads for the KR nipples were cut too deep as the threaded nipples dont have a shoulder to press against and seal. Cheers!
                  How are those supposed to seal? I'm unfamiliar with them.

Comment

I'm not sure. These were a paul friebus mod aka big port cylinder set. Front cylinder has been fine rear leaked around the nipple after 100 miles. I think the fresh paint was what kept it from leaking initially. Now fluid weld is doing the job....so far so good.
                    -good ol GD

Comment

... That paired with a set of cottonsmanifold PEEK seals have me back on the road...
                      Did I cut you a set, Matt?
                      I'm not sure. These were a paul friebus mod aka big port cylinder set. Front cylinder has been fine rear leaked around the nipple after 100 miles. I think the fresh paint was what kept it from leaking initially. Now fluid weld is doing the job....so far so good.
                      So Mr. P didn't test his benchwork, Matt?

Cutting threads into the casting too deep shouldn't matter, as it is the back of the larger portion of the nipple that should butt up against a face cut upon the casting. Preferably with a thin lip like a Knuck.

At least his rivets sealed?

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Cotten,
                        Sure enough you did. I got a set from you last fall. They have performed flawlessly.
                        I had a previous set of cylinders from Paul that also leaked around both nipples. He stood by his work and replaced the cylinders free of charge. Unfortunately, he must not bench test them as the new ones leaked as well. After reading some of the other posts, im just happy I got my cylinders back at all.
                        -good ol GD

Comment

Working...
                        X