1935 VLD with Sidecar Restoration Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 VLD with Sidecar Restoration Advice

So I need some advice on how far to go with my restoration. I have an all original (except paint) 1935 VLD with matching year sidecar. The paint is not original, likely repainted purple in the 60's - 70's. The only thing I have done to the bike so far is new tires. In addition, I plan to do some work to the heads/valves/pistons (I bought Steve's book) as it smokes quite a bit when I run it. However, it runs great and usually starts on first kick.

The original color was blue as I can see it on the inside of the tanks and around bolt heads. I have attached some pics showing the bike. If the paint were original, I would not touch the bike. However, it seems I may need to to all the way or someone may have other ideas. I like the original "stank" of the bike and hate to ruin that. I also do not like the purple color.

My question is, how far to go on a restoration? If I opt to do a full restoration, I want it to have one of the original paint schemes (likely brown and cream). If I wanted to do a true full restoration, I would have to: strip/bead blast frame and all tins, work out dents and imperfections, have it professionally painted, have the barrels nickeled, etc, etc.... which I would love to do but not right now. I also worry about losing the "original" look, feel and smell. (I do love the smell of an old original bike)

Or maybe there is another option that would retain the original imperfections and give me an original color????
    - try to strip purple layer to get to original blue and then clear coat (kind of a rusty retro like the kids are doing these days)
    - paint over the purple with a flatter, original color. The idea is I would get the color I want without a clean restoration, thus saving the barn fresh current state.
    - some other idea????

Final question. The bike has an original messinger #2 seat. It needs reupholstered. Does anyone know of an upholsterer who specializes in these seats? It has been difficult to find someone who can handle the riveting.

Thank you for the advice.

Jesse57447104140__A5395665-8A16-4168-A56C-540CEB575B0F.JPG57447127023__B2CD5ACF-F7AF-40D8-94B2-20B99AF4D4BD.JPG57447128321__9A6718E5-9531-44EA-99C4-DDB27A0BCF45.JPG57447129725__9EA31A6D-381E-4BAE-B33B-D822A7299F34.JPGIMG_0241.jpg

jesse the bike runs , so if it was mine I would see if you could remove the red paint to see if it has been painted over for start ,a full resto is going to cost you . they do look great done up , if you haven't had it long just enjoy it for now until a plan comes together

Comment

I'm doing a full resto on a 31V and hairynob is correct, it is expensive. I had a bent frame & forks, rust holes in the tanks, wrong paint, and a stuffed motor so didn't have a lot of choice. But if I had your bike I'd do exactly what hairynob said above, ride it and think about it.

Contact Michael at Worsham Castle re your seat.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...9034361682907/
      Last edited by Peter Cooke; 07-17-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Yes, why turn a nice rider into a showroom bike and lose all that history? Keep having fun, and if this means a partial repaint to your taste, just do it.

Comment

Wow that is a really nice bike! I would ride the heck out of it and make small changes to your liking as you go.

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          So I need some advice on how far to go with my restoration. I have an all original (except paint) 1935 VLD with matching year sidecar. The paint is not original, likely repainted purple in the 60's - 70's. The only thing I have done to the bike so far is new tires. In addition, I plan to do some work to the heads/valves/pistons (I bought Steve's book) as it smokes quite a bit when I run it. However, it runs great and usually starts on first kick.

The original color was blue as I can see it on the inside of the tanks and around bolt heads. I have attached some pics showing the bike. If the paint were original, I would not touch the bike. However, it seems I may need to to all the way or someone may have other ideas. I like the original "stank" of the bike and hate to ruin that. I also do not like the purple color.

My question is, how far to go on a restoration? If I opt to do a full restoration, I want it to have one of the original paint schemes (likely brown and cream). If I wanted to do a true full restoration, I would have to: strip/bead blast frame and all tins, work out dents and imperfections, have it professionally painted, have the barrels nickeled, etc, etc.... which I would love to do but not right now. I also worry about losing the "original" look, feel and smell. (I do love the smell of an old original bike)

Or maybe there is another option that would retain the original imperfections and give me an original color????
          - try to strip purple layer to get to original blue and then clear coat (kind of a rusty retro like the kids are doing these days)
          - paint over the purple with a flatter, original color. The idea is I would get the color I want without a clean restoration, thus saving the barn fresh current state.
          - some other idea????

Final question. The bike has an original messinger #2 seat. It needs reupholstered. Does anyone know of an upholsterer who specializes in these seats? It has been difficult to find someone who can handle the riveting.

Jesse[ATTACH=CONFIG]25211[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25215[/ATTACH]

Comment

I'll join in and also recommend riding it 'as is'. Just make sure it's safe to ride. VERY NICE VLD by the way!! Just do the "simple" things, like the batter box cover, and seat. OR... if you absolutely hate the color, then just remove the tanks and fenders and repaint those. Leave everything else 'as is'. For now at least!! Just ENJOY it!
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

A hack makes it safer, Jim!

You can carry more tools.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                A hack makes it safer, Jim!

You can carry more tools.

....Cotten
                Ah tools.... I just carry a cell phone now. That is my tool box! HAHA!! Not really, I am kidding of course. I still have the obligatory screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, pliers rattling around in the toolbox.
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                  Ah tools.... I just carry a cell phone now....
                  Gotta get me one of them someday, Jim!

You can never have enough tools.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Can you post more pics of the sidecar and chassis... It looks to be a pre-1928 sidecar but I can't really see it well enough in the pics.

Comment

Beautiful VL, Jesse. For the sake of keeping it fun, I'd leave it alone and save your money for a top end job in the future In regards to paint; if a past owner didn't paint the insides of the tanks, then he may have been lazy and painted over the original color. There are quite a few posts on paint restoration by people who have done the gruesome archeological work of uncovering original paint.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I should mention that VLs of 1935 were two-tone, so there may be a big surprise under that purple paint.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post

- some other idea????

Jesse[ATTACH=CONFIG]25211[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25215[/ATTACH]
                          Thank you for the advice! I think I am going to follow you suggestions and just ride it. I will probably paint (not professionally) the tins but keep everything original. The side car is matching year. I will check out your seat recommendation. A guy with a 48 pan in Sturgis suggested Heather's Leathers for the seat. May look into that as well.

Thanks again,

Jesse

Comment

Working...
                          X