1932 VL M-21 Carb - No Fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 VL M-21 Carb - No Fuel?

Posted this on CAIMAG but I though I would put it here also to catch a few more eyeballs.

Here's the background:

Needed to pull rear cylinder and both heads. New rear piston/rings. New copper head gaskets.

Before tear down, bike started easily without issue. Re-installed both, bubble checked manifold for leaks, installed the same M21 carb, all good. Fully charged battery, nice strong spark both cylinders. After kicking through multiple times, no hint that it wants to start. Choke fully closed, 2 prime kicks. Open choke 1 click, ignition on, kick again and again - nada. Using this technique prior to now and it would start right up.

Float bowl full of fuel. A squirt of fuel down the carb throat AND IT FIRES UP and runs for 2 seconds. Pulled carb and disassembled. No issues that I can see. Cleaned all passages with compressed air. Re-install. Same thing. Krikey! Pulled plugs and there seems to be no trace of fuel. Often when I get a situation like this after many start attempts the plugs will be wet with fuel. Not now.

Put my hand over carb opening while kicking - plenty of vacuum.

Why would this thing not be drawing fuel? Makes no sense.

Never touched timing or circuit breaker.

What am I missing?

Is it possible that when the tanks have been removed to do the top end, somehow the fuel tap has been blocked off by some loose debris when reassembled?
    Is the fuel getting to the carby?

Comment

GitGuy!

Why leave the choke mostly closed?

Is it freezing out where you are?

....Cotten
      PS: Wet plugs ain't necessary. That's flooded.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten!

Choke closed for priming then open slightly to start. Always fired up easily using this technique. Yes I am aware that wet plugs would suggest flooding but I can't even get that to happen.

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        GitGuy!

Why leave the choke mostly closed?

Is it freezing out where you are?

....Cotten
        PS: Wet plugs ain't necessary. That's flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by gitguy View Post
          Cotten!

Choke closed for priming then open slightly to start. Always fired up easily using this technique. Yes I am aware that wet plugs would suggest flooding but I can't even get that to happen.
          I'd prime it Gitguy,..

And then open the choke all the way to start.

Unless its snowing.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X