1937 lifter block bore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 lifter block bore

I have what I think are standard lifter blocks measuring .725 and unfortunately just bought .733 which were supposedly stock. I'm not about to hone my blocks to fit old oversized lifters. I do want to ride the bike any thoughts on buying new .005 over or should I seek out originals? and does anyone have the stock specs?
    Thanks; John

AFAIK all 1929-83 tappets are .731" OD.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

The blocks came from Walksler . They still have original paint but painted over and all measure .725 even if my calipers were off .002 on the lifters the then stock lifters won't go in the blocks. Strange.

Comment

mystery solved. Bad calipers. The blocks are good the lifters are oversized. Thanks for the .731 info at least I know the blocks aren't worn.

Comment

It really should be measured with a inside micrometer.
          AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
            It really should be measured with a inside micrometer.
            your right. I abandoned the calipers after the second different reading used a good micrometer on the tappet and it's half a thou shy of .731 Somehow the blocks may be NOS and the red paint on them was to remind the shop owner of such and they need to be honed? In my younger days I built car engines. Old Harleys are a new venture so I don't understand why the blocks wouldn't have been properly sized in the first place. Now I know that they're small and need to hone them, does anyone know the clearance? or where I can get the specs for the engine?
            Last edited by JDoorn; 04-09-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
              AFAIK all 1929-83 tappets are .731" OD.
              I didn't see the link before. Thanks I just ordered the guide to improve flathead oil feed system. I'm going to stay at or around .001 clearance from what I found out though.

Comment

Working...
              X