ULH pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULH pistons

I am building a ULH motor and the cylinders are miss match bore size. I need a .040 and .060 piston as I don't what to waste "metal " boring to make them the same . Is there anywhere I can by piston as singles or has anyone done the same and have pistons at .040 and .060 Thanks

I do not know about ULH but Chuck at Kickstart sells me lone pistons all the time for OHV's. I might also have some. I will check. His number 616 245-8991

Jerry

Originally posted by zig1 View Post
    I am building a ULH motor and the cylinders are miss match bore size. I need a .040 and .060 piston as I don't what to waste "metal " boring to make them the same . Is there anywhere I can by piston as singles or has anyone done the same and have pistons at .040 and .060 Thanks

Comment

First: are these 1937-41 UH/ULH cylinders (13 fin, casting numbers 120-37 & 120-371), or 1938-48 U/UL cylinders (11 fin, casting numbers 120-38 & 120-381)? They're completely interchangeable.
      The difference: here are the original bore sizes.
      U/UL 3-5/16" 3.3125" (same diameter as EL)
      UH/ULH 3-27/64" 3.421875" (not 3-7/16") (same diameter as VL but not OHV)
      Current replica UH/ULH pistons are sized based on 3-7/16", so "standard" is actually already .0156" oversize.
      3-7/16" +.040" is a very large cut in the smaller cylinder, generally successful, but this is the time to inspect it very carefully, especially to see if it's been sleeved.
      The Linkert Book

Comment

kitabel Thanks for your reply . These cylinders are 120-371 bore is ready for final piston fit at 3.474 , 120-37 at 3.494 , again ready for final fit when I find pistons. I will buy piston sets but the left over ones won't be even be heavy enough for a " door stop " !!!

Comment

Zig1; Let me know if Jerry couldn't help you. I bought 8 cases of NOS pistons from Doc's H-D in St. Louis in the 1980's. Many are singles. 1930 through 1950's. Many were robbed of their rings, but I also have a couple of boxes of loose NOS rings.
          Craig100_1098.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
            Zig1; Let me know if Jerry couldn't help you. I bought 8 cases of NOS pistons from Doc's H-D in St. Louis in the 1980's. .
            Craig[ATTACH=CONFIG]24215[/ATTACH]
            Back in the early '70's I bought NOS Knuck heads and cylinders from Doc's. I also bought a big box full of miscellaneous wiring harness parts. I asked about engine cases and he said that in MO cases without a title were just about worthless. He told me he had a pickup bed full of them at his home. I always planned on making another trip to buy some cases but never quite made it.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris; Doc was a good man. Always remembered your name. He died in the early '80's. His son Ralph was a heck of a factory mechanic. He had an aneurysm and died a few years ago. Ralph's sister took over the dealership. It was sold a few years ago and their web site has no mention of Doc at all. Sad thing to see.

Comment

Russell; I have sent you a couple of PM's.
                Craig

Comment

Working...
                X