VL generator strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL generator strap

Another stupid question on my part, why does the VL generator strap have a notch in it?

Thanks Steve

The VL strap isn't notched. The notched straps are for clearance for the lower valve cover from '39 up UL.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

VL genny strap

Comment

Yup, another Harley engineering update with no change in part number, and another chance for those pesky AMCA judges to catch us out. The generator body had that cutout put in it at the same time, to clear the 1939 and up valve cover tool, so a 1940s genny on a VL takes another hit for incorrect generator, or at least incorrect generator body.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Comment

Yup, another Harley engineering update with no change in part number, and another chance for those pesky AMCA judges to catch us out. The generator body had that cutout put in it at the same time, to clear the 1939 and up valve cover tool, so a 1940s genny on a VL takes another hit for incorrect generator, or at least incorrect generator body.
            So the generator body and strap changed for the the 39 UL ?
            You guys are certain ?

Comment

Pretty sure, yes, because that new UL valve cover tool needs more clearance. But the 45s continued with the screw down valve covers and the old style valve cover tools. What about the knucks? Did Harley really make two different generators for a while, or just the later style generator and strap and use up old stock on the 45s? Only original bikes can tell the story...

Comment

For what it's worth my '34 VD doesn't have the cutout in the strap IMG_2472.jpg
                I don't mean to brag but; I put together a puzzle in only a week when the box clearly said "2-4 years".

Comment

Working...
                X