Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak - what could be a possible cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak - what could be a possible cause?

Hi, I noticed that there is a bit of clear oil leak just on left side cover, where the clutch is located. Initially the floor of my garage was dirty so I did not pay to much attention on it, but after a good cleaning last weekend, then I noticed quite a bit of oil on the floor. What could that be?
    Some addition information from my side:
    - the motorcycle is a Harley Davidson WL 1946
    - recently, half year back, I replaced the whole clutch, all new, including the push rod and gaskets
    - the motorcycle is VERY rarely used
    - it keeps stored on the side stand, which could be a implicator?
    What do you think and what are the recommendations? Out of this, everything is perfectly good.
    Thank you for your help,
    Ed
    Attached Files

Did you smell the oil, is it gear or motor oil?
    Steve

Comment

Most likely sumping from sitting unused for long periods. It will run out the engine shaft and fill the lower side of the primary then leak at the rear of the primary. Do a search on sumping and you will get a lot of info. It is very common. You will probably find that the oil tank is low. DO NOT refill it before running the bike long enough to return all the oil trapped in the crankcase.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Steve, Thank you very much for your reply! Yes I did and it does not smell like motor oil. I believe it is from the gear box? How can I be 100% sure, any suggestion for a check?
        This morning I saw that there are few drops ove the new paper that I put over the motorcycle.

Comment

Clutch gear oil seals tend to leak from age or from not using the proper tools to install them. Gearbox uses the same oil as the engine on a 45.

Comment

Originally posted by shinedogg View Post
            Did you smell the oil, is it gear or motor oil?
            Both the engine and transmission use motor oil. Gear oil is too thick.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
            X