6V AGM Battery for 1946WL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V AGM Battery for 1946WL

Can an AGM style battery be used with a standard 6V WL charging system (3 brush generator and voltage regulator)? My experience so far is mixed. I was having problems starting the motor so I installed the new 6V AGM battery. The starting problem was resolved. After a few weeks of operation the generator stopped charging. I reinstalled the Excide wet cell battery and the generator started charging again but the hard starting problem returned. Today I put the AGM battery back in the system and the motor starts normally. Does any one have any comments or suggestions. I like the AGM style battery because the acid corrosion problems go away.

I have three machines with 12 volt AGM batteries and have never had a problem. 6 volt shouldn't be any different. I pulled one out of my '81 Sturgis the other day and replaced it because eight years seemed long enough and I'm getting ready for the new riding season. I use the Durcell brand sold at Batteries and Bulbs. They make 6 volt too. Same maker as the H-D factory. Made in USA. Just sayin'. Rich
    DrSprocket

Comment

Howdy sir,

AGM’s are indeed superior to lead acid in every aspect accept one, which is common to most/all new generation batteries: tolerance of charge rate. They will not accept high amps and in the case of a battery sized to your app, it should be at two or less for longevity, a mechanical regulator let alone a three brush does not control charge rate well enough. Unlike and overheated lead acid which can merely topped off, AGM’s will fail in odd fashion when you least expect it. They’ll show full voltage but will not take any load.

I have four 6V machines, two on AGM’s and two on Lithium Iron. Have converted all to two brush and electronic regulators. Google VTronic for your app. Batteries Plus has a house brand, Werker, which is nearly unkillable for AGM’s.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thank you for your input.

Comment

Thank you for your input. Sounds like good advice. I will investigate.

Comment

Peter, I didn't add it to my comment but I too use two brush units with electronic regulators on the '40 (elec. start conversion) and the '67. The Sturgis is Alt and electronic so it doesn't matter. Batteries Plus out here is the same as Batteries and Bulbs. Hope all is well with you. Rich
            DrSprocket

Comment

Howdy Rich!

Yes sir, when we get back from this trip, time to get ready for the Sunshine chapter and Bike Week, Tex road run after that. Been watching your over the top coast whether with keen interest. Hwy 1 never fares well with heavy rain. While out in Carmel last August it was the first time in years I recall being able to go all the way to San Luis Obispo. That bridge washout right above the Napenthe restaraunt took a year or so and was on the heels of a rock slide that closed it before that. Hope it can hang in there for the midwestern/east coasters to experience its grand scenery .....and treacherous guard rails free curves.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
              X