No announcement yet.

Fixing up a cam cover; please help me understand breathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go commando and altogether forego the sprung brass plate designed to strain the oil, you'll see more oil out of the breather, across the bottom of your motorcycle. The harder you run it, the more oil will escape. Racers din't care about that. But the system as-designed works well.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
      If you go commando and altogether forego the sprung brass plate designed to strain the oil, you'll see more oil out of the breather, across the bottom of your motorcycle. The harder you run it, the more oil will escape. Racers din't care about that. But the system as-designed works well.
      Understood. I figure I'm not gonna hurt anything leaving it out; someone can always come back and add it.

I don't even need either cover right now for anything, it's just winter and I am not building anything and I 'm tryna keep my idle hands busy.

Comment

Yah, we're all here to have fun! With fascinating technology that was obsolete before most of us was born.
        Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Reasons #1 through 10 for leaving out part of the original design: don't understand what it does.
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
            Reasons #1 through 10 for leaving out part of the original design: don't understand what it does.
            Reminds me of building my first choppers. We're "improving on what the factory originally made, customized just for us." Raked the forks, stretched the frames of unit Brit bikes that shifted on the wrong side while listening to Hendrix and crossed the desert on a Horse With No Name.
            Some things are just burned in. Fond memories.

Not necessarily the best engineering practices after all.

Cut off the sidecar loops to "clean up" the front of the Harley's frame, and the lugs for the rear stand? Never use that again! All the speedo mounts that got shaved off for peanut tanks in doze daze...
            Last edited by Sargehere; 01-14-2019, 08:56 PM.
            Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
              I didn't understand what it did last night when I got done pulling the pins. I asked here, got great answers, and then talked to a friend who builds these motors for a living and advised I skip that part. I then mused that I probably won't put them in as I presently have 3 serviceable cam covers, and also would like to experiment with the one I have as-is, and if it doesn't work well, revert to the OEM setup. I bought your book and read it cover to cover. I understand you know flatheads well. But your book full of modifications is great, but if I try something then it's no good? It's hardly like the cover is being permanently modified. I mean I got the thing this way.

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
              Reminds me of building my first choppers. We're "improving on what the factory originally made, customized just for us." Raked the forks, stretched the frames of unit Brit bikes that shifted on the wrong side while listening to Hendrix and crossed the desert on a Horse With No Name.
              Some things are just burned in. Fond memories.

Not necessarily the best engineering practices after all.

Cut off the sidecar loops to "clean up" the front of the Harley's frame, and the lugs for the rear stand? Never use that again! All the speedo mounts that got shaved off for peanut tanks in doze daze...
              Most of what I own is chopped within an inch of its life. I've never cut a frame; can't bear to do it. But there is plenty of modified stuff in the world that can be worked into a perfectly serviceable motorcycle. They're fun. They're about the most American form of folk art I can think of. And they're fun! Choppers aren't for everyone, sure. Have I told you how fun I think they are to ride? In fact, the flathead we're discussing sits in between a pair of Pan frame rails. The bike's about nine feet long. A good friend of mine, who'll turn 76 this year, cut them loops and the rear lugs off in 1973. And the speedo mount. They're long gone. The frame tubing is molded completely square!

I bought that bike after sitting in a barn for 30 years, and I got it running and scrubbed it up without recoating anything, and a year later my buddy met me down at the chopper show the night before The Race of Gentlemen. He showed his bike 35 years after it won its first trophy, and he was happy as a clam to take home another. I wouldn't trade that memory off for the world.

I got a pretty original old bike, too, and that old thing is a hoot to ride, in a totally different way. But it's easy to understand why modern bikes are popular

Comment

W/r/t "don't understand what it does"
                Sorry, that was rude of me. Not directed toward you, just a general observation.
                The flutter valve does something useful, otherwise you will have liquid oil pouring out of the slot on the end of your stand pipe. The spring loaded plate is just a seal, if you can measure it carefully it can be permanent instead of floating. I'm surprised the replica cover is incomplete. The WLA stand pipe ends in a chain oiler (or a tank return) so the oil at least goes somewhere useful.

Nothing is sacred, do whatever you want with it.
                The Linkert Book

Comment

No biggie. I got thick skin. And your point is certainly not without merit.

I agree, the flutter valve is a non-negotaiable. Given how high the genny sling sealer thing sits, I bet it doesn't make a total mess.

I will report back with my findings... but first I need to find most of the other parts to another U. I got some heads, so that's a start.

Comment

Working...
                  X