Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLD Rear fender fit - what the heck is wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,
    Thanks for the length and angle spec, it's always good to have something definitive. It looks like the bottom braces are slightly less than 10.5"
    IMG_0255[313].jpg

Using a profile gauge, the bend is at 7 to 8 degrees. I'll bend them 2 more degrees so they are correct.
    IMG_0251.jpg

I suspect the gap below the hinge will still be much too large, so I'll take your suggestion, cut and reweld (in the blue circle)as needed to close up the gap at the fender. Fortunately I'm a pretty good tig welder, so can handle this with minimum grinding afterwards.
    IMG_0140_LI.jpg
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Looks to me that the upright bracket is meeting the fender at a bad angle.It appears to be leaning forward, causing the rear portion of the fender to sit too low. Either the bracket is twisted or bent, possibly positioned to far forward at attachment to the fender. I would take it loose and fool around a bit with position at fender and see how it changes. If your fender flap struts are the correct length. your troubles originate elsewhere.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I'm only eyeballing the rear brace to say ten degrees angle, so 8 degrees could be OK. The tangs on the rear brace in the photo are not at 90 degrees, and will push the tail section up a bit. While we're nit picking, that side brace bolt is non-standard and will be a loose fit in the frame hole, dropping the front mudguard section down a tad. Correcting both these items should help a bit, as should riveting the hinge.

Comment

Working...
        X