No announcement yet.

Harley Davidson WL difficulties to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A loose bowl cap should not affect anything, Ed!

(As long as any leakage does not ignite).

The head space to the bowl is also vented elsewhere (attached).

And ChiefTwoKicks!

If a bubble-test misses even the tiniest of leaks, then it wasn't performed thoroughly.
    Some people think they can get by using an air mattress pump, or even a shop vac, for a guaranteed "false negative".

....Cotten
    PS: Beware also porosities occasionally occur other than around the nuts and seals, sometimes hard to observe. Its their evil nature.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-29-2018, 02:39 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
      If you are using a foam air filter cartridge I would remove it until you resolve your problem, that little fire at the end of your video could cause real havoc if the foam filter were to engulf.
      =====

Hi,

Today I tried to start my motorcycle. It almost started at the second kick after priming but I decided to abort the next try because I got a bit os smoke coming out of the air cover; after a quick check by removing the air cover, I noticed that there was fuel leak coming out through the air filter. At this point I decided to remove the bowl and have a check of the float. For my surprise, when I removed the bowl and the fuel filter, I saw that it was sticky inside, most likely caused by the Marvel Mystery Oil? The fuel filter was very dirty and the sealing corks around the filter were partially decomposed...this is strange given the fact that I have replaced the, in September.
      Well, now I have replaced the brass float by a rubber-like one and have it adjusted and fitted back to the motorcycle, please check my video clip below:

https://youtu.be/2rkHBloxwUo

The fuel filter requires a proper cleaning and I will leave it immerse into vinegar until tomorrow. I wil replace the corks as well.

The K&N air filter has now been replaced by the original one, at least until the issues are solved.

I have also noticed that the three manifold bolts that holds the carburetor to the manifold were slightly loose. I have tightened it now. All other bolts and screws including the manifold nuts are very tighten and secured.

I am attaching a picture of a device I used in September, to test the manifold for leaks. I feel confident that a new test is not necessary.
      Perhaps these three manifold bolts were not tightened as it should by mistake...

Comments and suggestions are welcome,

I will have a next try along the next days,

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ed
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
        This is just a short summary of the activities I did on my motorcycle today.
        I have removed and cleaned the fuel filter, the cork gaskets were totally decomposed for some reason, so a pair of new ones is now fitted and the filter element was cleaned with vinegar.
        As you can see in the pictures, I have checked the carburetor for leaks and all seems good now. Also the float was replaced by a rubber like one and readjusted.
        Check the video clip:

https://youtu.be/2rkHBloxwUo

When I removed the air filter and the float bowl I noticed that they were sticky (most likely caused by MMO).
        I think now it is time to have a try and start the motorcycle.
        I hope all should work now.
        Ed
        Attached Files

Comment

Harley Davidson WL - start problems is now SOLVED

Dear colleagues,

I have good news to share! My motorcycle started at once at the first kick! It works smooth and nice as you can see yourself on the videos below:

https://youtu.be/lNOobIpDV48

https://youtu.be/0pJx44oQv5s

I have also measured the temperature on the over heads after few minutes idling:

There is some difference between both heads temperature but I don’t know why and I don’t think they are significant?

My only conclusion for the issue I have had before, is that the problem was in the carburetor float and the fuel filter. I have also replaced the fuel in the tank as you know.

Out of these, nothing really was changed! What I did today, after I have mounted the float and the fuel filter back to the motorcycle, was basically to keep the fuel OFF and try to star the bike few times (5-7 times). If it was flooded, then this process helped to have the heads clean and ready for a new start. Then I followed the normal procedure, like priming and starting it.
          For your information the motorcycle started at once with the circuit breaker fully restarted (outwards) and the choke fully open (up).

I will try to keep the bike started regularly just to warm up.

Thank you all for your great help!

Cheers,

Ed
          Attached Files

Comment

Ed,

Great looking bike! Sounds good.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Thank you very much! I will be looking forward to hear from you too. Sincerely, Ed

Comment

Working...
              X